Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 81

Start from the beginning

"Mama! The seat is very soft," the elf boy said.

"It's a bus," I said as I, too, took a seat, Lilly next to me.

"What's a bus?" the elf boy asked.

"A big carriage that can carry many people," I said.

"How many can fit in there, my lady?" a woman asked.

"About one hundred," I said.

"That many?" she said, looking astounded.

"One hundred? So many. I've never heard of a carriage that can carry that many people," a man said.

When Grayson started the engine and the bus moved, it caused a stir. A man said, "The giant carriage is moving without horses."

"Just like the carts," another said.

It took them a little while to settle down, and once they did, the drive through the woods back to camp was quiet and peaceful, and as tired as I was, I closed my eyes, enjoying the sound of the engine and the movement of the vehicle itself, which brought back memories of me and my parents traveling. They were pleasant memories for sure.

When we arrived at camp, where the place was lit up just enough to see but not enough to draw attention, we filed out and led the civilians to the tents where they then burrowed into the available sleeping bags after being shown how to use the zippers.

"I've never had a blanket this soft and warm before," the elf boy, whose name was Johnny O'Kenny, said as he wiggled himself in the sleeping bag.

"Hush now, just sleep," his mother, Lana O'Kenny, said. Then she tucked in the younger brother Zach, too, before she made herself comfortable in hers.

I turned my attention to Lilly and said, "Sweetie, are you comfortable?"

Lilly nodded and then asked, "Will you stay here and sleep with me?"

I said, "I'll stay here until you fall asleep, all right?"

She nodded and then closed her eyes. As tired as she was, it didn't take her long to fall into a deep slumber, and after giving her a kiss on the forehead, I stood and headed to Elizabeth, who was keeping watch, along with Maria and a few other soldiers.

I said, "Keep an eye on Lilly."

She nodded, and then I headed out of the tent. I met one of the soldiers in charge of the camp and asked, "Is the perimeter secure?"

He nodded. "Aye, my lady."

"Good," I said and then went up to the airship and into the control room where Connor and his squad were located. Uncle Colt was already there, pacing back and forth. Perhaps he was anxious about the next phase in our plan, as I was.

"My lady," Connor said.

"Captain Connor," I greeted. "Is everything ready?"

He nodded. "Waiting for the signal."

And then the signal came, when the sun started rising and Robert's voice came through our earpieces. "Tunnel crew all clear. We're on the bus and heading back to camp."

Aldric's voice came, too, and said, "Men, let's get started!"

On the screens, which was streamed live from the dragonfly drones, I saw Aldric, in the prison hall with the men, summon his magic and say, "Fire blast!"

A massive fireball spit out of the circle and flew toward the iron wall, blasting it to smithereens, along with the concrete double doors, leaving a huge hole, as expected from my husband. I turned to see Uncle Colt who looked rather... miffed?

"I worked hard on that iron wall," he said. "And he just destroys it with his fire blast?" He tsked. "I'll be sure to work on making something sturdier that even his fire blast won't be able to put a scratch on."

Chuckling from the other side, Vincent said, "You do know we can hear all that?"

Uncle Colt said, "I want Aldric to hear all that."

Aldric, ever so stoic, ignored Uncle Colt's taunt, and said, "Let's get moving, men." He walked out as the sounds of guards shouting and bells ringing could be heard in the distance. The noise and rumble of that blast would have stirred anyone awake and cause panic.

For the next few hours as the sky grew lighter and the air a little warmer, I watched Aldric and the Norsewood warriors barge through the maze of corridors of the dungeons, and before they could even react, killing every guard that came their way with their swords and elemental magic, with circles glowing and fireballs, ice lances, wind blasts, and water blasts shooting out here and there and everywhere.

I was tense all the way, having witnessed the soldiers using their magic for the first time in real combat, and it was damn exhilarating. It was hard to believe that I had assisted in discovering the magical skills within them and making them this powerful and formidable, especially Aldric who led the way, sending terror among the guards who screamed, "It's the cold-blooded earl! It's Aldric Templeton! Run! Run for your lives!"

Then I was even more tense when something I, or anyone else for that matter, didn't expect appeared and charged out from the depth of the mining dungeon itself—monsters—orcs, trolls, goblins, dire wolves, basilisks, and... A dragon!

I stood, my eyes wide, as well as everyone in the control room, as I watched Aldric and the warriors stare in disbelief at that behemoth with a rusted sword stuck in its eye hovering above them. Aldric screamed with rage as his voice rang loud, and it made my insides cry in anguish. My heart ached for him as I had never heard him scream like that before. In fact, I had never seen him show so much raw emotion before, and it was killing me inside.

What had that dragon done to him? Or could it be...

I sucked in my breath. The monsters. The dragon. Were these the ones that had attacked Norsewood four years ago? But how? For sure, this was not Blackfield. So how? Unless...

"Aldric," I said softly under my breath.

Aldric had a score to settle with that beast, and I knew come hell or high water, I had to do whatever it took to aid him in beating it.