Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 77

Start from the beginning

"Holy fuck!" I said loudly.

Silence descended upon the room, and everyone turned to look at me, clearly shocked at my vocabulary.

"Holy what, lassie?" Uncle Colt asked.

With heat creeping up my cheeks, I flashed them an embarrassed grin. "My apologies." I hastily headed to the door. "But please, continue with your discussion. I just have something I really need to do a trial on right now."

"Quinn?" Aldric asked. "What is it?"

I said, "Just a theory. Just a trial. But please, continue with your discussion." I turned on my heel and raced down the corridor and then to the elevator.

My heart was pounding in excitement as I went outside. I jogged toward Grayson. He stopped and turned off the machine when he saw me. He must have been concerned due to the look on my face because he asked, "What is the matter, my lady?"

"Grayson," I said. "Can you get Robert and David and Kent and Derek and the men?"

"Robert, David, Kent, and Derek?" Grayson asked. "They're training down at the field, my lady."

"Yes, I know," I said. "But can you please get them here now? It's important."

He nodded, then got down from the snowblower machine and rushed away. Turning on my heel, I headed toward Jonah and the others, and the moment I was close, they turned to me, and Max asked, "You want to join us this time?"

"I bet you're going to lose to Jonah though," Josh said. "He's a Templeton and he's awfully good at throwing the paper airplane."

"I might lose, actually," Jonah said. "Because she's a saint, you know, and a saint just doesn't lose to anything. She'll use her magic."

Dismissing the subject of a saint and me using my magic, which I'd be doing soon to create some awesome stuff that'd be sure to blow their minds, I said, "Boys, you want to go for a ride with me?"

"Horse riding?" Leo asked. "Are we allowed?"

I shook my head. Besides the fact that I sucked at riding a horse and that I had no desire to show them just how terrible I was, I said, "No. Not horse riding." I look around and said, "Where do you think is a good place to drive around?"

"Drive around?" Jonah asked. "A carriage? If you want to learn, it needs to be on a road."

"And a lot of clear space," I said, spotting the large area right here in front of the lodge. It was flat and certainly big enough, the size of a decent parking lot of a mall. It was perfect.

I walked about, with the boys and squirrel following me, and a few moments later, Grayson returned, tagging along with him were Robert, David, Kent, Derek, and the other men.

Ah, finally, I thought, let the fun begin.

"My lady," Robert said. "You called for us?"

I nodded and then said, "I have an important mission for you all, gentlemen."

I summoned my magic and printing out of the circle was a blueprint of... Yes, a racetrack. I handed the paper to Robert, and the men crowded around him to look.

"This?" Kent asked, his eyes wide.

I grinned. "It's a racetrack. It doesn't have to be nice-looking like that with asphalt and all. Just a dirt-style racetrack will do. I've seen you men with your earth magic, and I'm very sure you can do something this simple."

Derek said, "It does indeed look simple."

"Shall we give it a go?" Robert said.

There was a series of nodding as well as yes and why not. The boys and I stood back as the men got started working, spreading out and measuring the distance, and then there was a bit of discussion. By this point, more children joined us, along with some adults, too. Hayden and Hunter as well as Grandma Liz happened to be three of the adults.

"What are they doing, my lady?" Hunter asked.

"They're making me a racetrack," I said.

"What's a racetrack?" Jonah asked.

"You'll see," I said.

Hayden took some pictures while Hunter took videos with their cameras. Suddenly, magic circles appeared here and there on the other side, and I held my breath with expectation as I felt the earth beneath tremble. The men with fire magic melted the snow at the same time the earth was reshaped and molded, and within fifteen minutes, a road made of dirt curved around the field, completing the racetrack.

"Whoa!" Max expressed loudly.

Instantly, everyone ran into the middle of the racetrack, awed as they looked around.

"What a marvelous road," Grandma Liz said. "Derek, you've made such a marvelous road with your magic." She burst into tears, and Derek patted her back to calm her down.

"Doesn't this mean we can make Norsewood a road as big and as smooth as this with our magic?" one of the men said as if he had only just realized the possibly with his earth magic. Suddenly, the others burst out laughing in delight, as they, too, came to realize their ability.

I said, "All right, everyone, I know how pleased and excited you are with the new road prototype for Norsewood. But this is only a dirt road. The real version will be even better."

"Like those black roads in the movies?" Max asked.

I nodded. "That's right." Turning around, I said, "Now, can everyone please move back? I'm going to make something wonderful."

"The black road?" Josh asked.

I shook my head and smiled with glee. "Nope. Something better."