Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 74

Start from the beginning

Juan widened his eyes and said, "To the night trolls? Aldric, I know you're strong, but it's a horde of night trolls we're talking about. It's suicide if we barge into their den just the five of us."

Aldric turned to look at him. "Who said it's the five of us?"

"You mean we're meeting up with the other soldiers?"

Vincent burst out laughing while Theo said, "It'll be just Aldric, Juan. And I'll be cleaning up afterward." He winked. "Your brother liked doing that as of late, working solo. I suspect he's doing it to impress Lady Quinn."

"Wait. Just wait a second here," Juan said. "Working solo? Just Aldric by himself?" He turned to his brother. "It's suicide, Aldric."

Aldric, the stoic that he was, didn't answer his brother. He nudged his stallion and started off, galloping fast and furious, and Juan shouted, "Wait! Aldric!"

The others started off, too, and Juan had no choice but to follow suit. Goodness in heaven, but had his brother gone crazy, he wondered? Just because he had defeated the Tasal's army, had his ego grown so big even a horde of night trolls, indeed one that would require a whole platoon of veteran knights just to defeat, didn't faze him and he'd barge into their den without thoughts of danger?

They sped through the field of snow for at least an hour, and once they went into the woods, Juan was stunned that Aldric seemed to know exactly where to go. Down below them was the den of the night trolls, a cave which was surrounded by thick trees, blocking out most of the sunlight, which was perfect for the trolls as their eyes were sensitive to light.

He scanned around the area, noting how quiet it was and he knew it wasn't a good sign. The night trolls had sniffed out their scents and were most likely waiting for them, luring them into a trap.

He blurted out, "Aldric! We need to—"

It was too late, for Aldric, on the stallion, was already galloping around the curve of the hill and heading toward the cave.

"Damnation!" he swore and pulled his rein. He was just turning around, his heart racing with worry at his brother's thoughtlessness, which was so unlike him, when Liam caught his arm and forced him into a halt. "Don't go," he said. "You'll only be a hindrance."

Theo said, "If Aldric wanted you with him, he'd tell you."

"Just stay put and watch," Vincent said. "I know you're worried about Aldric, but there's no need."

Juan was confused as to why Theo and Vincent seemed to have no concern that Aldric, their lord and commander, was charging into a den of monsters alone, and now they were even telling him to stay put when his brother could be killed?

He shifted his gaze to Liam, who still held on to his arm tightly. He was surprised the young man was so strong, despite his slender physique. He suspected Liam was not going to let him go unless Juan stayed put.

He finally relaxed and nudged his stallion back, and Liam released his grasp. Juan watched as Aldric charged into the den where around ninety to a hundred trolls—monstrous ugly-looking beings with green skin holding wooden, spiky clubs and baring thick fangs—came charging out. They towered over Aldric who didn't seem to react one way or another at their menacing, threatening stances and growls.

Suddenly, Aldric climbed down from his stallion, and Juan swore under his breath. "Is he mad?" After all, fighting monsters on horseback was a lot safer with added advantages compared to being on the ground. Every warrior knew that.

Aldric summoned a magic circle, and when it glowed and shot out fireballs, Juan's mouth gaped open, his eyes wide in disbelief.

How? How did Aldric learn to do that? He was not blessed with any elemental magic as far as Juan knew. None of the Templetons were. So how?