Clearing his throat, he clicked the warm air off. "You should head in. I have to go."

What a night it's been. One I'll never forget. Despite how many night's Peter has lived, and the countless more he will live, I had a feeling he wouldn't forget tonight either.

I opened the truck door and paused. Before getting out, I spotted the plastic bag of pop-tarts. I completely forgot. Jamie picked me up, we went to the batting cages, and went to the store for my pop-tarts. We were having such a nice and fun day... before the unsettling memory of what happened blocked it out.

"Have a goodnight, Peter," I said, grabbing the bag and departing

When I got inside, it was past 11:00, so I wasn't surprised Liz was already upstairs and asleep. I went to the kitchen, flicked the light on to put the pop-tarts away, and saw a note on the table.

Jos – if I don't see you in the morning, PLEASE fill out more scholarships application tomorrow! I know you've been slacking.

I rolled my eyes, but to be honest, it was true. Not like that was my fault. Regardless, that was the last thing I really cared about. It sounded so small and pointless after what I learned tonight.

***

How in the world was I supposed to focus on anything except Jamie? All I could do was wonder what he was going through. And let me tell you: filling out boring applications and writing about why I deserve them did not help. But that is what I did the next few days. I filled out applications – oh, and I worked too. Serving food and drinks at least kept me busy, but I still mentally sifted through everything I learned. I pondered Peter's past and worried about Jamie's present. Only a few more days at least. Then, he'll be able to come home.

There was one thing that distracted me. That doesn't mean it was worth it though.

"Hello?"

"Hey, mom, how's it going?" I asked, putting her on speaker. I just wrapped up my paperwork and had enough time to call home before leaving for work.

"Jos! I'm glad you called!"

I smiled in surprise. This was already better than the drunk conversation we had last time. "Yeah? I know I was a bit overdue, but I've just been so busy with stuff." The 'stuff' being angels, demons, and scholarships.

"Being busy is better than not being busy. You have a lot to do to get ready for college."

"Yeah, I really do," I sighed. "I've been doing nothing but applications the last two days."

"Good, that's what I like to hear. Anyway, get ready to be jealous," she said in an excited voice. "Tony is taking me on a trip! We're going to a nice little B&B for a few days, so you know I'll be getting pampered like never before. It's a beautiful place with a spa service, a pool (and a private beach), and a ton of attractions around too if we want to venture out."

Damn. That did sound nice. If only I could blow money irresponsibly instead of saving up for stupid college. I laid my pile of papers on my dresser, violently tossed my phone on top, and focused on getting ready for work. "That does sound great." Grabbing a hair tie, I combed back my thick hair. "Why pay bills when you can live it up, right?"

"Oh stop, you're always so dramatic. You know, you only live once, Jos."

I wouldn't know. Rolling my eyes, I tied my hair up. "So how's Tony? Can I talk to him?"

Yeah, while it was better than the last conversation, I was already over it. Besides, I had a few questions for her too-accommodating-but-sweet boyfriend. Ready for work, I grabbed the phone and sat on my bed when I heard Tony's voice.

Counter LotusOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara