XXVI. DATE

═════ ◈ ═════

STEVE ROGERS WOKE up to the sound of a baseball game playing on the radio

STEVE ROGERS WOKE up to the sound of a baseball game playing on the radio. He seemed to be in a hospital room— painted white and a drab shade of green. There was a rickety fan spinning on the ceiling above him.

Steve sat up slowly, listening to every oddly familiar call made over the radio.

"Pearson beaned Reiser in Philadelphia last month. Wouldn't the youngster like a hit here to return the favor?" the radio announced. "Pete leans in. Here's the pitch. Swung on. A line to the right. And it gets past Rizzo." The crowd was cheering loudly. "Three runs will score. Reiser leads to third. Durocher's going to wave him in. Here comes the relay, but they won't get him..."

Suddenly, the door opened, and a woman walked through. She had dark hair and wore red lipstick, as well as a blouse, skirt, and tie. "Good morning," she said calmly. She then glanced out the window. "Or should I say afternoon?" It was off. Everything felt off.

"Where am I?" Steve asked.

"You're in a recovery room in New York City," said the woman, a smile resting on her face.

Steve glanced back at the radio, where the announcer continued his calls very enthusiastically. "The Dodgers take the lead, 8-4. Oh, Dodgers! Everyone is on their feet. What a game here today, folks. What a game, indeed." Too familiar. Much too familiar.

"Where am I really?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand." She was still smiling.

"The game," said Steve. "It's from May 1941. I know, cause I was there."

Now the smile slowly drifted off her face. Steve stood up from the bed and walked toward her. Who was she? A Nazi? Hydra? Undercover? Something worse? "Now, I'm going to ask you again," said Steve, finality in his voice. "Where am I?"

"Captain Rogers—"

He was yelling now. "Who are you?!"

The door busted open, and two burly men wearing all back stepped in, making Steve stumble backward a bit. But they weren't a problem at all.

Once Steve was done with them, they were thrown through the wall, through which Steve escaped. There was never any recovery room— it was just a box in the middle of what looked to be a dark warehouse. But Steve didn't linger on that fact for long. He had to get out of there. Wherever he was. "Captain Rogers, wait!" said the woman's voice faintly, now many feet away. But Steve ignored her. He had to get out.

Through two doors he stepped into a crowded hallway full of the men in black. The woman from before's voice boomed from everywhere. Steve wasn't sure how. "All agents, code 13," she said. "I repeat, all agents, code 13!"

Steve didn't have time to think about any of the stuff that was happening right now. Just that he had to get out of there.  He knocked out every person who tried to get in his way easily, and in his panic, he didn't even care what happened to them. 

Steve ran out the front door to find a crazy street.  There were people, everywhere, and cars he'd never seen before. Where was he?  These buildings were sleek and taller than anything he's ever known.  The people's clothes were so different from what he was used to. And there were lights everywhere.

Billboards lit up to attract the eyes.  Brands he'd never heard of advertising things he didn't know were invented.  These large signs stuck on the side of buildings were like giant television screens, and they were in color, too.  They changed with every minute he stood there, the colors flipping to reveal a new advertisement.  And in the rain.  How did it work even in the rain?

Steve couldn't help but stop and stare at the wonder, and in that moment, cars began to surround him, and the men in black stepped out of them.  They didn't look armed, but they were all wearing big coats.  They probably had some weapons somewhere.  "At ease, Soldier," said a voice.  Steve whipped around to find a man behind him wearing his own long, dark coat, as well as an eyepatch.  He stepped toward Steve with authority, but he didn't seem to be a threat. 

"Look, I'm sorry about that little show back there," he said, "but we thought it best to break it to you slowly."

"Break what?"

Steve was confused.  So confused.  What was all this?  How did it work? Was it all a facade, was none of it real?  Maybe he was dreaming. No— he wasn't dreaming.  He just needed to know what the hell was going on.

"Break what?" said Steve.

The man stared at him for another couple of seconds before answering.  "You've been asleep, Cap," he said.  "For almost 70 years."

No. 

What?

No.

But that would explain all the technology he's never seen, all the different clothes people were wearing, the crazy cars and that warehouse facade.  Steve stopped looking at the man in front of him and looked around at all the blinking lights and signs.  It was true.  It seemed to be the only viable explanation.

"You gonna be okay?" the man with the eyepatch asked.

"Yeah," said Steve, still staring at all of this new world's wonders.  "Yeah, I just..."

Rebecca.  Where was Rebecca?

"I had a date."

a.n. WHERE IS REBECCA???? you'll find out next chapter.  see you soon ♡

don't forget to vote!

molly