VI

- The night had fallen and they were still sitting by the fire place, drinking one of the wine she had in her possesion, as the one he bought was already drunk.

Conversation between them was flowing, and Richard was trying to make sense of the unfamiliar feeling growing within him. They have been talking for hours and the energy is intense.

,,Tell me, what would you do if I didn't come, with a good wine ?", he held a strong eye contact with her, as he felt himself melt under her gaze

,, I don't know. I guess I would have to find another man, who would put efforts into impressing me by finding a good wine." , she admitted taking a sip of a wine without breaking eye contact. His jaw clenched as his eyes got darker. He thought about the words he was about to say for a few seconds, not moving his demanding gaze from her and said:

,, Is that what you do when you're disappointed with a man? You find another one, just like that? ", he raised his voice a little, but still tried to not sound bothered by her answer. But the truth was, he really was, but didn't want to admit  why.

,, If a man can't fulfill my needs, then I find someone who can. It's simple as that.", she injerced as soon as he finished, moving closer to him, before putting her hand on his chest, while holding a glass of wine in other. He watched her in silence for a few moment, before he finally spoke, sounding irritated not calm.

,, I think you've had enough of this crap.", he hissed before abruptly taking the glass of wine she was holding, leaving it on the table angrily.

When he looked back at her, he saw how much she was enjoying the fact he was annoyed. He knew he was wrong to show it, but it was stronger than him. It was followed by her laughter, which filled his ears and calmed him for a moment, and then disturbed him even more when he realized that it was the result of the excessive amount of alcohol she drank.

"You are soo sexy when you're mad Richard.", she admitted watching him intensely.

"Is that so?" You find this amusing, don't you?", he questioned

,, I really do...", she trailed as she suddenly got up and turned up the music.

"What are you..'', he started to ask, but stopped because, without warning, Katherine begins to dance. He stood there completely taken aback, because he had never thought he will see her move like this.

When he noticed how much she was drinking, he realized that she is trying to bury her pain. His heart aches for her, and he stands up to protect her from further harm, that could've happened due to her condition and unsteady steps she was making during dancing.

At that moment, the emotions that have been simmering between them were sorted in a clear line. He could feel her heart pounding against his chest, and the heat of her breath fogging up his vision. Everything around them fades into the background, and all that's left are the two of them in the firelight.

Richard's eyes widened as her lips met his. His arms tightened around her body, his fingers curling into her hair. They were pressed too close to each other, and the feeling was so intimate and delicious. He felt her exploring his body, which made him crave for her more.

A piercing moment of unfortunate truth, Katherine, drunk and emotionally fragile, stands in front of Richard who ended the kiss rather abruptly.

Having seen and heard her inner thoughts, he knows that the kiss they shared moments ago had been a desperate attempt for her to forget her pain. Realizing her lack of control in that moment, Richard urges her to rein it in, telling her that she shouldn't do something that she'll regret in the morning.

Lost in her own world, Katherine replies:
,, I don't fucking care anymore. I can't stand this pain anymore Richard, it's killing me'', she cries out loud.

Richard on the other hand stood there, moved by the rawness of her words, realizing how much she's trying to escape the hurt she's feeling. Out of fear and pain, her solution had been a quick escape in the form of a kiss, trying to erase her pain and the reality of her current situation.

Moved by the intensity of her pain, Richard responds with a plea to her :

,, Who had hurt you so much
Katherine..?'', his hands found their way up to her cheeks, while he gazed softly at her face.

Taken aback by his question, Katherine takes a step back and becomes silent, as these seven words sink into her mind, damaging her state even further. He saw that and came closer to her, resting his hands on her shoulder preventing her from falling.

After a few moments of silence, Katherine looks up to him and pleadingly replies:

,, Distract me...Make me forget Richard, please!'', her eyes still glossy with unshed tears, as she uttered the word. She leaned in to kiss him again, and he could sense the desperation in her touch. He cupped her face in his hands, looking into her eyes, trying to pay heed to the warning his conscience was giving him. He wanted her too, just as badly. But, this won't bring her any peace, he thought, his insides torn between the need to protect her from her pain, as well as wanting her to forget it. He moved away from her,  but still stood close, as his words coming out in a strangled whisper :

,, You don't know what you're talking about and you will regret this, calm down .''

Katherine looked at him for a moment, her expression softening, then she moved closer, her lips almost brushing his, her voice low and determined:

,, I won't regret it, just do it... I want you! ''

His cold heart was melted in that moment, and he closed the gap between them, surrendering to the moment. He wanted her the same way she wanted him - to take away the pain and make them both forget.

The moment between them was cathartic, and in that moment, the hurt that lingered between them, slowly faded away. As he pulled away, holding her in his arms, and kissing her tears away, they both knew, that this moment was exactly what they both needed. But still, he knew it wasn't right.

"What are you doing to me..?" He asked her, unable to contain the emotion in his voice. He shouldn't feel this way toward her.

,, You have no idea what you're doing to me, so it's only fair if it's both sided.''

She was reckless and drunk, and had no idea of the weight of her words. She probably didn't even mean them.
She was so young and beautiful, why would she even want him? He was just a much older, retired hit man with a past that was still haunting him. He had nothing to offer her, or so he thought.

Yet, here she was, touching him with an electric fire. He felt molten metal flowing through his veins, and he was completely captivated. He wanted to believe that this wasn't just some kind of one-night stand. He wanted her to realise the depth of the emotion he was feeling towards her.
He wanted her to accept the feeling and return it to him. He wanted her to fully understand that what she was doing to him was far beyond a night of pleasure.

As in for Katherine, drunkenness could be blamed for the sudden passion and boldness she was showing. She felt liberated in his arms, and didn't care what anyone else thought. She knew that he was an  much older guy, but in that moment, none of that mattered.All she could think about was how right it felt to be in his arms, indulging in night full of passion, that was about to change their lives, forever.

—————————-
A/N:
Hey guys, here's another chapter, hope you like it enough to leave comments and let me know your thoughts and opinions on story. Goodnight everyone !! 😴

(Let me tell you a little secret, there will be smut in the next chapter for all of you horny bitches out there, love ya!! 😉)