Chapter 42- Because she said so

Začít od začátku

A symphony of chaos, a canvas awash. In shades of scarlet, in echoes of a clash. A primal ballet, where desires converged. Leaving the senses intoxicated, submerged.

But at the same time, anger arises because I shouldn't have felt this high. I shouldn't have to let my anger out on someone else; I should make them hurt. And I will. I just have to wait. I tell myself another week until he finds out every little detail about this rotten family before I walk in there and make sure their bodies are never found.

The consideration of them being happy in that same moment in which those kids didn't realize they were gonna be saved, because I cannot risk those assholes getting suspicious and maybe, out of fear and desperation, doing something even worse to them, was so much more brutal than the cuts and bruises on my body. So, I didn't let the doctor fix me up, even though Dorian practically begged me on his hands and feet to at least apply a hemostatic compress to the worst wounds. But all I had in mind was answering Ally after seeing her name light up my screen. With Dorian and my other trainers shouting behind me, I slammed the door shut and locked it. It took me seconds to realize she was intoxicated, not incredibly wasted, but she definitely drank over the line of being tipsy.

That led me to two hours of listening to her rambling on about the amazing things she and her friends did in the last few days. Her voice calmed my ragged heartbeat with every word, and the ache in my body soothed as her laughter rang through the phone.

"Should I tell you a little secret?" She giggled through the phone, her hand pressed over her mouth, clearly muffling the sound.

"I'm begging, Ally," I let my head fall back against the wall, a smile beaming on my face. I felt like a 10-year-old seeing the prettiest girl in town for the first time.

"I'm not really allowed to call you. Emmabell and Adaeze said I'm forbidden, but they forgot to take my phone. They think I'm sleeping," I heard the grin in her voice.

"Bad girl," I shout-whispered into the phone.

"Well, I'm glad you called," I added truthfully after a moment of silence.

"Even though you don't like me drunk?"

"First of all, weren't you only a few minutes ago determined on how sober you are..."

I could practically see her rolling those gorgeous mahogany eyes with those golden flecks.

"And second of all, no, I still like you, even drunk. You are a grown woman, and my opinion doesn't matter. It's your decision what you do with your body, no matter if other people disagree."

"Come on, tell me the truth, Kaden. You hate it. Please... just for once, tell me what you think." Her tone sounded more serious than ever before.

"You really want that?"

"Yes," she whispered through the phone.

"Ok, well. I think you definitely made a lot of progress, and I love that you aren't drinking when you are sad anymore. But the meds... I've read a lot about them the last couple of months, and Ally... drinking alcohol while taking antidepressants can have potentially dangerous and harmful effects. The effectiveness could be reduced, it could even worsen your depression, your liver suffers even more, and baby... suicidal thoughts could come up even more often. It is your decision, and I will be by your side, but I don't know..."

I took a deep shuddering breath. I hope now that she missed the nickname.

"I don't know if I can lose another person because—because of this illness," I let out a groan as the reminder of Luke stabs through my heart.

"Kaden, no. I—you won't lose me. What are you talking about?"

"Nevermind, Ally."

"No, not nevermind. I want to help you," her soft but determined voice calmed me.

"Not now. This is for another time. Maybe, when we are face to face." I signalized to her that I am not ready to talk about it. But if someday I tell the whole story of how I learned to hate myself, it would be to her, because maybe someday she would be the first to teach me how to love myself again.

"Ok... ok. Whenever you are ready, but you won't lose me. I promise. I'm here." The soft smile I am sure she was wearing made me remember that I can't actually see her.

I closed my eyes, trying to stifle the groan wanting to leave my lips as a sharp pain sliced through my abdomen. I breathed through my nose for a moment, opened my phone's camera to check if I look okay. I rubbed a few specks of dried-up blood off and tried to fix my hair a little bit, hoping she doesn't scrutinize my appearance too closely.

"Is it okay if we video chat? I know you're normally not a fan of it, but I want to see you. I need to see you, Ally."

"Only if you continue to tell me what's on your mind right now." My lips twitched at her flirty tone.

"Deal." The next moment, her beautiful face appeared on my screen. Her makeup was still on but smeared, her hair clearly tangled, but all I can look at were those eyes. Those damn eyes.

"Mhm. You want to hear the truth. Well, Ally. I would do anything to have you in my arms right now, damn the consequences."

She took in a sharp breath.

"Me, too. Me, too, Kaden." And then we just watched each other.

And now we come to what led me to be at this airport. Because this infuriating and messy girl told me only seconds before she fell asleep that she forgot to inject her weekly shots for her arthritis today. My alarm bells rang, but I immediately set a reminder on my phone to write to her the next morning to tell her she cannot forget.

And then she didn't read my messages. They didn't even deliver, and some might think I am crazy for turning into this mess only because I couldn't remind her, but those meds lose their ability to work if they are not taken within a window of 12 hours. And those are almost over, and the thought of her waking up tomorrow in excruciating pain.

That caused me to leave an important meeting with the company's board. One look at my father, and he knew my excuse was valid.

"I want a full report on your thoughts when you come back."

"Already written in my mind, the email is coming in as soon as I'm landing." I told him, determined to get to Aleandra before the 12 hours are up.

"Wait, isn't this the girl Em is looking after with their kids?"

I look up from my fidgeting hands, getting ripped out of my thoughts.

"Uh, yeah. Eshima Hamasaki." I narrow my eyes at the girl storming out of one of the first-class lounges, panic on her face. I step to the side and walk to her as fast as I can.

"Eshima? Hey, can I help you?" I furrow my brows at the girl who normally looks so put together but now has the buttons of her blouse sleeves pulled off as if she played with them for too long and a nervous expression on her face.

She opens her mouth and then closes it for a moment.

"Everything fine, yeah. Where are you going?" She asks, running both of her hands through her hair.

"We are flying to Aleandra and Emmabell. Their hometown. Do you need anything?" I try not to look too concerned, not wanting to insult her looks. She is still pretty, but as I normally have only seen her so put together and now this expression, she concerns me.

"Oh, great." She huffs out, biting on her lip.

"Why are you—"

"I will come with you." She suddenly interrupts me with determination.

I open my mouth to ask her another question, but I don't know where to start, so I just let out a strangled "okay."

She nods her head and then walks with her luggage towards the others.

Well, now we are five.

Don't forget it's a double update:)