Chapter 8 - What it takes

Start from the beginning

So, when their father, Abhiraj, disagreed with Gyan on pursuing a music career, she knew she needed to stay put or her dreams would go in vain like her brother. As a kid she had always been interested in anything related to art. She liked to draw and paint all the well. As she grew up, her interest in the glamour world only grew by time. It was she, who started choosing clothes for her family and relatives during any festivities, and her family let her. Of course, because they loved her and thought it was alright to let her choose. She was just a kid back then. Even so, her taste in fashion and clothing was aligned with current trends. Abhiraj adored her for he loved his daughter beyond measure. But it was Priyasha, with whom she used to have clashes often. It wasn't like she disliked her choices, but because she sensed Ritu was walking on a lane opposite to the one, she'd have liked her to walk on.

Priyasha was never into fashion and brands. She used to have a very basic but classy style to her. She always liked to keep in minimal. But when she realized, Ritu had been developing an entirely different qualities that had nothing to do with her, she became cautious. They'd had several discussions on what career she should opt for, before finally Ritu had had enough.

"No, Maa! You listen!" she raised her voice slightly, unable to hold the frustration any longer. "I am not going to pursue a technical career, and not even architecture. You don't understand. I do not feel the pull there!"

Priyasha's pursed lips thinned as she cast an unwavering gaze on her daughter. "I don't think so. It was your father and your brothers doing all along. They spoiled you from the beginning with shoppings and brands and what not! I will NOT allow you to get attached to the materialistic way of life!" She paused momentarily and exhaled disapprovingly when Ritu turned her head away from her, sulking. "Ritu, why don't you understand, if you get too attached to the materialism, it'll distract you from the ultimate goal of life."

"And what exactly is that? Renouncing from life's pleasures? Did YOU succeed in renouncing? From where I'm seeing, you did not! I've been learning these hypocritical things from you since long, maa! I'm tired of this now. Please, spare me now. I'm NOT like you. I'll never be like you." She shifted her pleading eyes on Priyasha and added laboriously, knowing her words might scar her mother and be the reason of her excruciation. "Let me be my own person."

Ritu studied Priyasha's face, her unreadable expression as she pronounced those words and thought, even if it was not a comfortable way of make her mother agree with her, but it'd do. It was easier that way.

It did work out in the end. Priyasha wasn't pleased, but that didn't stop Ritu from enrolling herself in fashion designing course.

As a fashion designing student, she usually took inspiration from painting, sculpture, architecture, furniture, flowers, animals or any possible object that fascinate her. The first and foremost important thing to learn about the start of any design process was the inspiration. Finding inspiration was probably the most important part of designing clothes. Ritu reveled in that idea that she was outgoing and in return, it actually helped her gather the inspiration she needed to design. All was well... until that disaster happened.

Her chain of thoughts got interrupted as a ding on her phone caught her attention. An email had arrived.

She opened the email app. It was from her college. The final year project submission date and graduation date show has been released. Ritu calculated the date, and grimaced instantly. It was going to be held on 15th April which was only three weeks from now.

How was she supposed to submit her designs and the graduation show within this small time. Additionally, she had been on leave for almost four months now. If she was really looking forward to earn a degree this year, she needed to overcome her fear of going out.