Chapter 19- Reunion

🐺

Louis sat silently in the dimly lit elders' hut, staring down at his hands that are clasped tightly in his lap. The air was thick with tension, a palpable sense of unease lingering over the room. It was as if the very walls of the hut were suffocating the four men huddled together within its confines.

The fire crackled merrily in its pit, casting long shadows over the rough wooden walls. The elders sat on either side of Louis, their faces grave and solemn as they spoke in hushed tones.

The older man cleared his throat, drawing the attention of all three other men.

"Now that Harry is back among us, he will resume his rightful place as pack leader. We thank you, Louis, for stepping up in his absence. Your bravery has not gone unnoticed."

Louis nodded his head with a faint smile and returned his gaze firmly on his hands that are clutching his fingers together so tightly that his knuckles have turned white. He knew that Harry was watching him, and he didn't want to risk meeting his former lover's eyes. The pain of their separation had been reignited, once again aching within him.

It was Harry who broke the silence next, his voice low and rough.

"Thank you, elders, for your guidance and wisdom. I am grateful for your support but-"

" Mr Styles, although Mr Tomlinson had stepped up with such ease and led this pack with the utmost respect, may I remind you, that YOU are an alpha, the rightful heir passed down through your father. This is not up for discussion."

The room lapsed into a tense silence once more, and Louis wanted nothing more than to turn and face the other man, to demand an explanation for why he had left without a goodbye. But he couldn't bring himself to do it. Not yet.

The elders seemed to sense the discomfort between the two men, and cleared their throats once more.

"We will leave you now to discuss matters amongst yourselves." they said, rising to their feet. "May the spirits guide and protect you both."

As the door of the hut swung shut behind the elders, Louis could almost feel the heat of Harry's stare. He forced himself to remain still, to keep his eyes trained resolutely on his lap. But it was as if the other man's presence was a physical force, overwhelming and all-consuming.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Harry spoke. "Louis." he said softly, the sound carrying easily through the stillness of the hut. "I know that I hurt you deeply and I just want you to know that I never intended for things to end the way they did."

Louis bit his lip. He wanted to scream, to rage at the other man for leaving him so abruptly, for leaving him alone, for leaving Bree alone. But he stayed quiet. He had waited for so long to have this conversation, to finally let out all the confounding thoughts that had been stirring inside of him for years. Yet, now that he was standing face to face with Harry, his words deserted him like the crest of a wave retreating back to the sea. His insides were churning with every passing moment, his knees growing weaker, his heart thumping louder.

"I am truly sorry and I don't expect forgiveness." Harry continued, his voice quiet and raw. "But I hope that we can find a way to move forward, to at least be civil with one another and in regards to Bree-"

Louis shuddered at the mention of Bree's name, his heart clenching tightly, a knot forming in his stomach. He knew when he woke up this morning that this meeting was going to be hard. But fuck the elders for leaving like that. This is not how he saw this panning out.

The mere mention of Bree revealed a vulnerability that was creeping in him, one that he had tried so hard to conceal. He closed himself off, distancing himself from the possibility of revisiting the memories that he'd harboured for so long.