Next Door. | Lloyd Avery ll.

Reader's Name: Riley

Starring: Lloyd Avery II.

             ♡♥︎♡

Under the midnight-black sky adorned with shimmering stars, a soft, dim orange light from the backyard above him cast a warm glow upon his caramel skin. He expertly dribbled the reddish-brown basketball, the sound echoing through the air. The flat soles of his Jordans squeaked against the smooth grey concrete, disrupting the serene silence. The basketball strongly collided with the bright orange-rimmed hoop, prompting a stream of profanities to escape his lips following a missed shot. Standing amidst the tall green trees that stood behind the beige fence, his mom's house behind him, the young man's gaze remained fixated on the rim, The sound of chirping crickets provided a melodic backdrop to his solitary pursuit.

Lloyd was eagerly preparing for his upcoming fall college game, could be heard diligently practicing outside her window. The rhythmic sound of the basketball bouncing against the pavement echoed through the neighborhood. he continued to refine his skills, A basketball net adorned his spacious backyard.

Regrettably for Riley's family, yearning for a peaceful night's sleep in their respective rooms, her mother cautiously nudged the door ajar while tenderly rapping her knuckles against it.

Her mom's gaze fixated on Riley, who lay curled up in a fetal position on her bed, the black blankets enveloped her waist like a protective cocoon. Riley's mouth remained shut, a delicate stream of drool trickling from the corner of her lips. Her black paisley bandana rested upon the pillow, while her raven box braids cascaded in front of her face, concealing the back of her hand that pressed against her cheek.

"Hey Riley, could you please ask Lloyd to stop practicing basketball?" Her mom mumbled audibly, barely awake and still drained from a long night at work.

As Riley's sleepy eyelids gradually lifted, she found herself scrunching her face in annoyance at the intrusive disruption of being awakened at 9:58 p.m. Her gaze fixated on the alarm clock perched on her dresser, The mattress beneath her was soft, causing her body to sink into its comforting embrace.

The moonlight peeked through her thin beige curtains, casting a gentle glow in the room.

"Okay, I'll tell him," she mumbled, lifting herself with her elbows and hands.

Riley let out a sigh and reluctantly pushed herself up from her cozy bed. Rubbing her eyes, she stumbled towards the window, her bare feet sinking into the plush carpet. Reaching the window, she pulled the blinds apart, revealing the sight of Lloyd, still engrossed in his basketball practice.

Riley sauntered lazily towards her dresser, With a gentle pull, the dresser glided open, she seized the soft fabric and effortlessly slipped it over her frame, its darkness blending with her black basketball shorts. she selected a pair of matching socks, meticulously sliding them up her legs.

Afterwards, she was extremely eager to slip into a deep slumber, as she glided her sock covered feet into her black Nike slides.

Rliey quietly tiptoed through the cramped hallway of the house, and out the back door. the screen door slams shut behind her, The cool night air brushed against her face, resting her hood over her head. She made her way towards Lloyd, who was completely unaware of her presence.

As she approached him, Riley cleared her throat, causing Lloyd to turn around in surprise. His dark brown eyes widened as he saw her standing there, annoyance etched on her face.

"Lloyd," she said firmly, her voice cutting through the silence. "I understand that you love basketball, but it's late and people are trying to sleep. Can you please take a break for tonight?"

Lloyd looked taken aback for a moment, his basketball still in his hands. He glanced towards her house next door, realizing the impact his practice was having on her family. A sense of guilt washed over him, and he nodded apologetically.

"I'm really sorry, Riley," he said sincerely. "I didn't realize it was bothering anyone. I'll stop for tonight."

A yawn escaped her mouth and Lloyd paused dribbling, gently rubbing her eyelid with her closed hand while she stretched her muscles.

"That was easy." Riley smiling warmly.

"I don't have a game tomorrow." Lloyd told her, jumps to shoot the ball then misses, Riley grabs it before he did.

"Talk to me." Riley spat, successfully executed a jump shot while passing the ball to him.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about something, I like you," Lloyd confessed, his dark brown eyes gazing at her.

"Since when?" She asked, jumping to shoot the ball then scores.

"When I first saw you, playing basketball with me." Lloyd went on, grabbing the ball to shoot it then scores.

"I like you too and that moment was the same for me too." she agreed with him, and grabbed the ball as she walked toward him.

Lloyd inched nearer to her, his index finger lifted her chin, drawing her lips towards his own. Their lips pressed together in a tender kiss, However, a sharp interruption shattered the moment.

Her father's voice boomed from the nearby window, causing him to lean forward, his face catching a gentle breeze that swept across his skin.

"Riley! Did you tell Lloyd to stop practicing? I got work in the morning!" Her father yelled from her window, waving his fist in the air.

"Yes, Dad!!" Riley yelled back, sighing in irritation.

"Thank you!"
Her father yelled.

"No problem!"
Riley yelled back, gave her dad head shake.

"I'll see you later okay?" She lightly chuckled, shaking her head at her head.

She knew he was a good person, just caught up in his passion for the game. She smiled warmly at him.

"Thank you, Lloyd," she replied, her voice filled with gratitude. "I appreciate it."

With that, she turned around and headed back towards her house, leaving Lloyd to contemplate his actions. As he watched her disappear into the darkness, he made a silent promise to himself to be more considerate of his neighbors in the future.

The next day, as Riley's family gathered for breakfast, they noticed a small note on their doorstep. Her mom picked it up and read the words written on it. It was a heartfelt apology from Lloyd, expressing his regret for disturbing their sleep and promising to be more mindful in the future.

Riley's family exchanged surprised glances, touched by Lloyd's gesture. knowing sometimes misunderstandings could be resolved with a simple act of kindness.

———