Reunion

(Y/N)'s POV

I was in my hospital room alone now. The clock on the wall ticked with each passing second, and the TV played faintly in the background. I didn't care that much about the TV with its laugh track.

I kept my eyes on the clock, watching the minutes drag on by. 'Was it a good idea to trust a woman I barely knew more than two minutes? I don't know.'

My hands smoothed over the sheets as I pulled myself up to sit hunched over my lap, my head in my palms.

My attention peaked for any noise that I might hear outside my room's door: groans, wheels of wheelchairs and carts, doors swinging open and slamming shut. It still caught me by surprise to hear my door open.

My hopes rose and fell in seconds when I saw only a lanky nurse. He looked to be around my age, if not a little older. His hair was a messy short dark brown. His blue scrubs had "Vernon" in white cursive letters stitched to the right side of his chest. His badge just below it was held on by a clip with a superhero on it.

He carted a small table with a tray on top. It easily sat with the tabletop hovering over my bed.

"What is this?" I straightened up in the bed and he moved it so it hung a couple of inches above my lap.

"It's six o'clock. That's when we serve dinner to the patients." he adjusted my bed to meet my back. "Are you comfortable?"

I softly nodded and he gave a soft smile in return with awkwardly added thumbs-up.

"Let me know if you need anything." He dropped his hands to his sides and turned on his heel with a brisk pace.

"Excuse me," I lifted my head up from staring at the table, stopping him in his tracks.

"Yes," He turned back to me. "Do you need something already?" He puts his hands in his pockets.

"How long are the visitation hours?" I crossed my fingers in a silent hope that I could see that my kids were safe.

"In three hours, it will be closed for the day." He gave a gentle smile. "Do you have someone you are hoping to see? I could call for you."

"I do have two little ones, I want to see." I watched his eyes widen in concern.

"Do you have a partner? I can call them to bring the kids." He readied himself to turn on his heel to the door.

"No," I sighed, leaning back in my bed. "I have nobody like that. This was supposed to be a fresh start sort of thing. There is no one to call. I just have to wait." I turned my head to the other side to see out the big windows.

The blinds were partly shut so I can slightly see through. The orange just above the trees as the sun settled behind the trees on its journey to the other side of the world.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that." His voice was laced with sympathy.

"Could you call Dr. Cullen over here, please?" I turned to him to see his shocked face. "I just want to talk to him real quick."

"Yes, I could do that," He spun around, leaving the room quietly and closing the door behind him.

I hardly bothered to look at the food on the bedside table. It had a tan hard plastic cover over it.

My phone buzzed again in its spot on the bedside table. I hadn't bothered to touch before, but this time I did, probably for some kind of distraction.

I opened my phone to numerous notifications, mostly emails. At the top of the list was one from work.

Good Afternoon Mx. (L/N),

We as a business apologize for today's incident. You will not have to worry about the medical bill as it will be taken care of in full. Take today and the day following to recover. Please come back once you have recovered.

Respectfully,
Forks Veterinary Clinic

Mx. (L/N),

You have missed picking up the child(ren): Annie & Thomas from Daycare. There will be a fee for the extended stay of the two. Please, discuss this with Mr. Charles at your earliest convenience.

Take Care,
Forks Daycare

I dropped my phone into my lap and my head into my hands. What a disaster things have been. Thankfully, I have that one day to get things in order.

"You called for me. What seems to be the matter?" Dr. Cullen's voice broke the silence, followed by the door clicking shut.

"Are they on their way? I know you must be busy being a doctor and all, but these are my kids." I locked eyes with him.

"I have called and they should be here soon. Please, have patience." He sat down on the chair next to my bed.

"I feel that I have been more than patient." A tear of frustration slowly rolled down my face. "It wasn't a good idea to trust this...but what else is there to do?" I muttered to myself, whipping my eyes quickly and staring at my lap.

He pulled the tissue box off the bedside table and placed it in my lap.

"Thanks," I took a tissue.

"Parent!" I heard a very familiar voice scream. I shot up a little and stared at the door. I could hear the loud pitter-patter of feet coming in this room's direction.

The door swung open to reveal Thomas in the lead, followed by Annie. "Parent!" They cried together and bolted to my bedside.

"Thomas, Annie!" I slid the table further down to hover over the foot of the bed. "I missed you two! Ah, I'm glad both of you are okay!"

Both quickly climbed up the bed and latched onto me.

"Thank you, Dr. Cullen!" I glanced up at him. I also saw the woman from the daycare before. "And you are Mrs. Cullen? Thank you to you too!"
_______________________________________
1016 Words