01

1943

Steve and Essie made their way to a movie theater and the latter asked, "You did tell Bucky to meet us, right?"

Steve nodded. "Yes, I told him. He's on his way."

They watched as a commercial about the war before the movie. Essie let out a sigh as she watched, cuddling closer to the man she adored. Steve glanced down at her and smiled, then looked back at the screen.

The commercial announcer said, "War continues to ravage Europe. But help is on the way. Every able-bodied young man is lining up to serve his country. Even little Timmy is doing his part collecting scrap metal. Nice work, Timmy!"

"Who cares?" a loud, jerky guy said. "Play the movie already!"

Steve replied quietly, "Hey, you wanna show some respect?"

"Steve, hush up. Please," Essie said.

"Meanwhile, overseas, our brave boys are showing the Axis powers that the price freedom is never too high."

"Let's got! Get on with it! Hey, just start the cartoon!" the loud jerk cried.

"Hey buddy, you wanna shut up?!" Steve returned.

"Don't do this again," Essie begged.

The guy got up and looked at him.

The dirty blonde slunk in her seat and let out a sigh. "Oh dear."

"Together with Allied forces, we'll face any threat, no matter the size."

The three were soon in an alley. Steve pushed Essie behind him and tried punching the guy, but kept getting knocked down. Essie winced as she watched her husband getting pummeled.

Essie went to hit the guy who said, "This isn't your fight, princess."

Her brow furrowed as she said, "As soon as you went after my husband, it became my fight. Why must you pick on the weaker man?"

Steve picked up the top to a trashcan and the guy said, "You two just don't know when to give up, do you?"

"I could do this all day," Steve challenged, balling his fists.

Essie frowned. "Back off. Both of you."

The guy ignored her and hit her, causing her to stumble into the wall. Steve glanced to ask if she was okay and she nodded.

A young brunet man in uniform walked up to the fight and said, "Hey! Pick on someone your own size! Never hit a lady!" He punched the attacker, then kicked the man as he ran away.

Bucky looked back at Steve. "Sometimes I think you like getting punched. Did you bring Essie into this or did she choose to fight?"

"I had him on the ropes," Steve replied. "She chose to defend me. Thank you, Essie."

She nodded, wincing as she held her arm.

Bucky picked up Steve's enlistment form from the ground. "How many times is this?" He read from the enlistment form. "Oh, you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?"

Steve ignored Bucky's words and asked, "You get your orders?"

"The 107th. Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow. "

"I should be going. Come on, Essie."

"Come on, man. My last night! Gotta get you cleaned up."

"Why? Where are we going?"

"The future." He handed Steve a newspaper. Steve opened the paper to see an ad for World Exposition Of Tomorrow, 1943.

Essie looked at the newspaper and smiled.

---

Essie slipped on a dress and put on light makeup. She touched her arm gently and winced, letting out a sigh.

Steve knocked on the door. "Essie, are you ready?"

"Yeah. It's open."

He opened the door and smiled. "You look beautiful."

Essie stood and he tucked her hair behind her ear.

"I have a surprise for you," he said.

"Do you now?" she teased.

He nodded and pulled out a small bouquet of red roses.

"To what do I owe the occasion?" she wondered.

"Does there have to be one?" he questioned.

"No, but there usually is."

"The occasion is I wanted to get roses for you."

She kissed his cheek and smiled. "They're beautiful. Thank you. Let me just get these in water and we'll be off."

"Okay."

Essie grabbed a vase and filled it with water, then cut the roses an inch down and put them in the vase.

She grabbed her bag and wrapped an arm around Steve's arm and the two left.