iii ━ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘢𝘸 𝘮𝘦 𝘤𝘳𝘺

ACT ONE / CHAPTER THREE

evie's pov

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉

THE  nights at hogwarts have always been long, but lately they've been feeling longer than ever. it's been difficult, ignoring daphne. everywhere i turn she's in the near, and of course it doesn't help that we share a dorm. 

i don't know how to talk to her anymore, she hasn't really tried to reach out either. it feels like she's become a stranger whose laugh i could recognize anywhere. that's not a pretty feeling. 

i miss her, and not talking to her has been making me feel like a coward, a coward just like my father. ugh, being associated with him makes me feel physically ill. forget i even mentioned him.

i brushed my thoughts away, realizing that i am in fact still in the middle of hosting slytherin quidditch team tryouts. my eyes wandered over my eager housemates who were all talking about what positions they want to play. i looked at blaise, who was stranding next to me, waiting for me to begin the tryouts. right as i was about to say something, my gaze froze on none other than theo. what was he doing here? he stood there, staring back at me with a smug smirk on his face, giving me a little wave.

i clenched my teeth, bringing two fingers to my lips and whistling loudly, not taking my eyes off of theo. immediately, everyone went silent and looked my way. i forced myself to take my eyes off of him, i'd deal with him later. 

"listen up, just because you were on the team last year, doesn't guarantee you a spot this year." i began explaining. "decisions will be up tomorrow morning in the common room."

i left blaise in charge for a brief moment and walked up to theodore. "what the fuck are you doing here? quidditch is my  thing." i asked him in a whisper-yell.

"you don't own quidditch", he replied, why is he always so insufferable? 

"well it's not like i'm trying to sneak my way into the slug club", i told him, crossing my arms.

"i'll try out for the team if i want to, and i'm not even in the slug club, for your information." he said, making my eyes narrow.

"you know what, i just won't let you on the team. my team, my choice." i scowled, pointing my finger right into his chest.

theo looked at my finger and then back at me, his smirk growing. "you're hot when you're angry", was all he said.

"of course i'm-", i began shouting at him before really realizing what he said, "wait.. what?"

"you're hot when you're angry", he simply repeated.

i rolled my eyes, "piss off", i sneered.

"exactly", he pointed out, making me have enough of him. no way was i letting him on the team and no way was i entertaining this, so i just walked back over to blaise to continue hosting the tryouts.

bradford - 1
nott - 2

fuck this.

⋘⎯⎯⎯⎯ ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⋙

I  had finally finished my dinner and made my way out of the great hall. i had to get out of there as fast as i could and hide out until the very end of curfew to make sure daphne was asleep before i had to deal with talking to her. merlin, why do i always do this? i'm a ruiner, i ruin things, it's what i do. somehow i always screw things up, i'm such a fool.

lost in my thoughts once again, (surprise, surprise), i almost didn't notice someone stopping in front of me. almost. a familiar face, a very familiar face, a face i've known since i was only 4 years old.

there she was, the girl i've been dreading to speak to ever since i got here. daphne greengrass. my best friend of twelve years. 

"why have you been ignoring me?", she asks, in a tone so sweet yet so hurt.

for the first time in my life, i don't know what to say. i was completely dumbfounded. usually, i never shut up, it's like i don't know how to. why was i suddenly so silent?

"i wrote to you all summer, but you stopped answering. i think i deserve an explanation." daphne told me, what do you even say to that? i knew i had to talk to her at some point, but why did it have to be now?

"i'm sorry", was all i could bring myself to say, no explanation, even though she clearly deserved one. i am such a fucking coward.

"you know what? i don't even care, if you didn't want to be my friend anymore you could've just said that", she said before turning around and walking away.

i wanted to call after her, i wanted to explain, but somehow the words didn't leave my mouth. i just stood there like an idiot, watching my best friend walk away.

still in a haze, i carried myself towards the slytherin common room, sitting down on one of the couches, staring into the fireplace. did i really just let myself lose my closest friend? the girl i've known for 12 years.

"what are you doing up, evie? shouldn't you be peacefully sleeping, knowing that your beloved quidditch team is safe from me?" of course he was here, he always seems to come and annoy me at the worst times.

i didn't answer. theo seemed to have caught on, as he didn't say anything either. he walked up to me and sat next to me on the couch.

"are you okay?", he asked softly. was he actually being serious right now?

"why do you suddenly care?", i questioned, still staring at the fireplace.

"i've always cared about you, evie. we may not always get along and we may have our little rivalry but i still care about you." theo told me, making me look him in the eyes. 

oh damn, i've never seen that color blue.

suddenly, i feel the tears running down my cheeks, not being able to hold them in any longer. i cannot believe this. it was bad enough that i broke down at my father's trial, but again? seriously? i buried my face into my hands, how i absolutely detest crying in front of other people. theo placed his hands on mine, taking them off of my face. i looked at him, cheeks all flushed and teary-eyed.

"i'm sorry", i whispered.

he simply shook his head. "no", he replied, wiping the tears away from my eyes.

no? what did he mean, 'no'? "what?", i asked as he pushed some of my hair behind my ear.

"don't be sorry." and with that, he pulled me into a hug, letting me cry into his shoulder. he didn't ask about it, he didn't even mention it the next day, he simply let me let it all out.

i'll never forget how he held me in his arms that september night. that night where he put our rivalry aside and comforted me. 

that night i realized theodore nott may not be so insufferable after all.