𝖁𝖎𝖊𝖗: Man with a Mission

Start from the beginning

He passed a few nurses along the way, too focused on their errands to take notice of him. Doctors eagerly led them along as they disappeared into a hallway beyond an electric door that read "off limits for unauthorized personnel".

In a matter of seconds, after one quick turn to the right, he reached his destination, knocking on door 205. From within, the tender female voice granted him the permission to enter – which he did.

Surrounded by walls and bed sheets colored terribly incandescent, living up to the stereotype associated with hospitals, Fräulein sat, blinking. Her pale skin barely set itself apart from all the white. Only her golden and azure features formed a contrast to the lonely room she was once again stuck in.

"Hallo, Fräulein," Dorn greeted her and closed the door behind him. He came forward, "I came here to apologize for the last time on the behest of the entire police department."

Disappointed at himself for lying, he handed her the gift the woman curiously examined. For a moment, it seemed like she was not quite sure what to do with it.

"Let me introduce myself again. My name is -"

"Henning Dorn. I know," she interrupted him softly. A hint of sadness accompanied her self-pitying chuckle. "At least I can remember that."

Surprised at her capability to joke at her own amnesia, Dorn didn't fail to notice that it was just an attempt to hide the amount of pain the woman behind her azure orbs. He could imagine how hard it must have been to truly have no clue to one's identity – no family, no home, no own name. Hopelessness was an understatement to describe her condition.

"Danke," she added as a sign of gratitude as she placed the get-well-soon present on the small cupboard next to the hospital bed, "Are you here to ask me if I've recalled something? I'm afraid to tell you I didn't."

Instantly, he shook his head. He took the opportunity to sit down on a chair besides the bed.

"Absolutely not. I'm just here to assure myself of your well-being. Last time, well, didn't go exactly as planned ..."

He was at a loss for words. Was there even a diplomatic way to express what had transpired the last time they had seen each other?

"I'm not angry at you in any way, Herr Dorn," she shook her head serenely as if she had read his mind, "It is not your fault. The way I reacted had nothing to do with your actions. I appreciate to have been given the opportunity to recall something, even though in the end, I caused trouble."

Guiltily, she averted her gaze as she nervously played with one of her long curls. Before Dorn could diminish her own accusations, the door flung open with a bang. Fräulein flinched.

"What are you doing here?"

No one other than Eduard Arzt had decided to barge into the room. Four-eyes there apparently heard the news of Dorn's visit from the receptionist and decided to immediately interrupt.

No matter how hard Arzt tried to conceal the unspoken accusation lingering on his tongue, the obvious grudge the doctor carried in his question didn't go unnoticed by Dorn.

"Just an apology for causing trouble the last time," the policeman pointed at the basket and feigned a smile. "Signed by Wolfgang Eckert himself. I am just delivering."

Scoffing, Arzt shot Dorn a wary glance.

"I hope you are not abusing this opportunity to 'apologize' to secretly pull off an interrogation, Herr Polizist."

Not even a minute into the conversation, he already showed his scorn for Dorn.

"No, no, Herr Arzt, I can assure you he did not," Fräulein intervened in Henning's defense. "He didn't ask me a single question, apart from my well-being."

"Is that so?"

Still not fully convinced, the physician arched an eyebrow and shifted his attention to Dorn. His glare was piercing and intense, but Henning refused to look away. If he broke eye contact, it would be a clear sign that Fräulein lied in his stead, for whatever reason, which was not the case.

Words could not carry the message across that he had no ill intentions, but actions or rather his eyes could, so he hoped.

With an angry snort, Arzt turned away.

"Make sure not to bother the patient for too long."

Eduard opened the door and left. Fräulein gave Dorn an awkward, but charming smile. He didn't comment on the medic's behavior, but instead continued following Eckert's instructions.

"There is actually another offer the police department would like to make. To show our regret for your pain," he began.

Confused, Fräulein tilted her head to the side. "I don't think it's necessary."

Dorn looked around the dull, whitewashed room and shook his head. "This offer has no drawbacks. We would like to offer you the opportunity to provide you with anything you'd like as long as you stay at the clinic. Clothes, food, any necessity to make your stay more comfortable. As long as it's not too flamboyant."

The small, square television hung up on the wall might be a temporary diversion to cure her boredom, but solitude would settle in eventually. How convenient it would be for him to show up from time to time to be a solution to that problem. No one stuck in a hospital room would refuse some company, especially when there was no sight of relatives or friends to show up.

For a moment, she began to ponder, as if she carefully went through the options of what was an acceptable request and what not. Then, her eyes began to sparkle, the azure in them became suddenly vigorous, like crashing ocean waves.

"Is it possible to get a few books?"

An odd request, but easily doable. Although he had not pinned her as a bookworm, he nodded. "Sure. Any preferences concerning genre?"

"I'd like anything history-related, but I'll take anything you'll give me."

"Noted. Is that all?"

Fräulein nodded. He blinked a few times. She was astonishingly easy to please. Somehow he had expected there to be more negotiating or at least a list of things she could need, since it was an offer she could easily exploit. Eckert had advised him to grant her any wish as long as it's possible. They needed the reason to keep visiting the clinic without Arzt complaining.

Dorn rose from the chair.

"Very well. The next time we see each other, I'll make sure to bring you some books."

"Danke," she purred, clearly happy. "Until then."

"Until then."

As Dorn stepped out of the room and closed the wooden door behind him, he sighed. It took no convincing, no great arguing, acting techniques or high social skills to execute Eckert's plan. It was almost too easy for his liking that it made him wonder where the catch was.

Nevertheless, the news would certainly give his superior delight, because phase one, the easiest part of initiating contact had been successfully completed.