You try not to shrink under the way he says it. It isn't offensive; he doesn't spit the words like old gum that's lost its flavor, but it almost holds the same intensity as when half-hearted onlookers call him a freak just to fit in among the halls of the school.

You smooth your hands along your skirt, clearing your throat. "Uh, yeah... Um, I was wondering," you mumble the words out, hesitant and broken apart with anxiety, "if you wanted to, maybe," you struggle to get it out, hating how hard it is to speak to him when you usually remain so flawless, "go see a movie or...or get lunch?"

He begins to laugh, half-hearted and almost venomous. "Is this, like," he leans in a little, playing into the deceit he accuses you of, "some sort of joke?" He searches your eyes for an answer, one you're determined to decline.

"What?" you wonder aloud. "No. I... I-I just wanted to ask you if you wanted to hang out."

He begins to laugh again, but it falls short at the look on your face. Serious, timid. A mask?

"Really?" he asks, entirely unconvinced.

You nod slowly, lowering your head and looking up at him through your lashes as you kick at some grass. You swallow the lump in your throat formed because of his insistence of your insincerity. "Yeah."

You'd almost forgotten about his friends behind him, watching quietly with animated facial features that make you more nervous than you already are. They seem amused, underneath the judgement, of course.

"Why?" Eddie asks.

You shrug meekly, picking at your nails. "I just think you're cool."

He smiles, but not one of those wide Eddie smiles you're used to seeing in the halls when he's hanging around with his friends. This smile is almost spiteful, upset about whatever trick he thinks you're playing.

"'Kay," he laughs. "Now I know this is a joke."

You chance a little laugh, attempting to hide your nerves. "It's not a joke," you urge. You clasp your hands behind your back and tilt your head. The smile on your face is sweet, free of manipulation and full of a dwindling hope. "Please?"

Eddie scratches the back of his neck, sighing as he thought. He glances over his shoulder at his friends. They shrug or give thumbs up and he turns his conflicted gaze back to you.

"Uh," he breathes. "Sure, I guess." His hesitance does not help your nerves, but his acceptance offers a new hope.

"Oh," you say, your smile spreading a little. You half expected him to reject you, if his behavior was anything to go by. "Cool, um...movies on Friday at seven? On me?"

He nods slowly, just a dip of his head with pursed lips. He runs his knuckles along his jaw, his thumb lingering on his bottom lip before he pinches and absent-mindedly plays with it. "Sure."

Your eyes linger on his thumb for too long before you offer a bright smile, reducing your excitement to flicking fingers, rather than clapping your hands and jumping up and down in your spot like a toddler. "Great!" you smile. "See you then."

"Yeah..." he trails off, watching you leave before turning back to his hooting friends.

You return to Chrissy and Fiona with a pep in your step, swaying side to side in a light strut. They take in the way you hold your head high with pride.

When you reach them, the smile on your face is full of confidence and a touch of cockiness. "Friday at seven," you declare, winking their way.

Fiona practically scowls, "He said yes?"

You smile only slightly. "Yep."

Chrissy's arms surprise you as she throws them around your neck and pulls you into her. "Congrats!" She exclaims, even more excited about the date than you.