None of Your Business

"Okay, class."

The instructor walks along the table, setting rubrics on the desks of people in the room. Some pay attention to her, others simply ignore her presence as they continue talking to their friends.

"I need you to pick your partners for this out of class project due in two weeks." She turns back to her desk. "One partner," she emphasizes. "Not two, not three. Just one. I'm looking at you Mr. Tenley. Please and thank you."

Eddie doesn't move from his seat as chairs and desk scrape against cold linoleum floors. He's still at his desk, tossing a paper ball in the air as he sticks his tongue out over his lips.

By the time he gets up to find a partner, he finds that everyone's already paired as he looks around himself. He gives Jeff and Gareth a pointed look as their hands clap in a high-five. They see him, tired looks and annoyed sighs as he shakes his head at them. He plops back down in his seat. The class has an equal number of people, so there has to be one person left without a partner.

"Raise your hand if you need a partner."

Eddie's hand lifts and so does one other person's. As he sees them, takes in their identity, his eyes wide and he curses under his breath.

The teacher sees it, too. "Ah, Jesus," she huffs to herself. "Congratulations," she sighs, "You're partners." There's no joy in her voice as she says it. She's more exhausted than anything else.

"What?!"

Eddie's head whips around when your voice joins with his in a cry of absolute frustration. You glare at him and turn back to the teacher.

"There are two others absent. Can't we just pick them?" You try to reason, but she's too tired and too annoyed to listen.

"No," she shakes her head. "They will be partners when they return."

Eddie scoffs, "But–"

"I don't want to hear it," she cuts him off. She points a finger at the both of you, "You're partners and that's that."

You turn your head back to Eddie and scoff, flaming eyes glaring into his own. He's seething, you're seething, and the teacher can only roll her eyes and curse under her breath as she watches the both of you openly hate each other. It would be entertaining if it weren't so damn annoying.

~

You pull into the trailer park with the roll of your eyes. You see Eddie's trailer and huff as you get out of your crappy car. You look up at it, staring as you shake your head and work yourself up to walking forward. You readjust your jacket over your work clothes, an oversized white jacket stained with a faint tint of dark red paint.

You walk up to the trailer, and shake your head at yourself once again. You knock on the door and it swings open on the second rap of your knuckles against it. Eddie looks you up and down, face fallen as his eyes stare down at you. There's no "hi" or "what do you want?" He skips any small talk.

"Remind me again why we couldn't just meet at your place?" he wonders, raising a brow.

"Not an option. You hiding something from me?"

"No, I just don't want your stench around my house. I'll be cleaning for days just to get it out."

You roll your eyes and shove past him, "Move over." Your shoulders bump into each other aggressively, and he moves his body to the side lazily. The door closes behind him while you walk into the trailer, looking around the walls with furrowed brows and an upturned nose.

Eddie walks forward behind you as you drop your bag beside the table in the living room. His hand is held up at his side, a movement that's far too flourish-y for his own good. You hum and he scowls. "What?"