Leave A Light On

"Oooh! A keyboard!"

Heart's curiosity got the better of him, so he tried to find the button that turned the keyboard on, ecstatic to play.

"I haven't played one in so long!! I've been meaning to practice!!" He thought, giddy.

He used his hands to try to familiarise himself with the notes and played a simple tune.

He smiled wide and clapped, like a young excited child, before remembering himself knowing full well that Mind could be around the corner watching him, probably snickering.

It's not like he could see him, after all.

Heart sighed and shook his head, he couldn't feel bitter now, he's got a freaking keyboard!

He positioned his fingers and started playing.

After a while, he started humming to the tune.

Eventually a second pair of notes accompanied him.

Heart almost stopped playing.

"...Soul?"

"Mind." 

"Oh, sorry..."

"No worries."

Heart questioned how Mind had not messed up his playing, and instead accompanied it with a -though he'd never say it - beautiful melody.

He didn't want to take this limited kindness for granted though.

They played and hummed in harmony until a third pair of notes joined.

"You have to be Soul."

"Yup! I just thought I'd join in."

They continued playing, and then Heart heard a familiar clucking noise harmonising with the keyboard.

"Darrell!!" Heart and Soul said in unison.

Heart giggled, he felt so happy, and for what? All he was doing was playing a keyboard, though as he thought more he realised this has never happened before, ever.

The four of them, playing together, no fighting or snide remarks, just spending time together.

Heart started singing, and as if they were one, the other two did the same.

"Tonight, I'm arriving alive and alight."

"Tonight all the black, and the grey and the white."

"And I want to be like, you are the one light."

"I want to see your-"

"Eyes looking back and out through mine."

And for the first time in forever, Heart saw someone. Someone singing with them.

No it wasn't Mind, neither Soul or Darrell. No, no, it was someone else entirely.

And as Heart's world turned back to that comforting darkness, he asked aloud, "Did you... did you feel that..?"

"Yes." Soul and Mind replied in sync, their breathing heavy.

That feeling, that feeling Heart hated with every fibre of his being but craved and loved all the same.

That feeling, that counteracted that emptiness he had that he tried to fill up but whenever he did the hole in his heart seemed to grow bigger, that feeling was gone, just for a second, and Heart felt at peace.

"Are you okay?" Mind asked Heart.

Heart realised his hands were shaking.

"Yeah, yeah I just- I just saw- felt-"

"Whole?" Soul suggested.

"Yeah..." Heart smiled to himself.

"Whole."

* * *

Author's Note: hello ig

To anyone who came here from my SvT Oneshot book: don't worry, I'll still do stuff there, I just thought this idea would be fun, please be patient.

And to anyone who just happened to find me here: hello-ha! I hope you enjoy your stay! :D

480 words