5

Come morning, Michael rolled out of bed with the remembrance that it not only was his day off, but the day he would finally round up the courage to ask Nia out on a proper date.

Her shift started around noon from what he remembered her telling him, which meant he had some time to kill before trotting over to the bar to meet her...if Archie didn't rudely interrupt again. With only two more days until his flight home to London, there could be no more room for distraction. Did Michael ponder the nature of Archie's words in the elevator the day before while walking to the bookstore? Absolutely. But having achieved some well-needed rest after his embarrassing departure from the bar, Michael felt that he carried a much more level-headed disposition, which afforded him the luxury of observing Archie's "concerns" as absurd.

At least that's what Michael told himself to feel better.

The Barnes & Noble was moderately busy even though it was barely 10AM. Michael grabbed a coffee from the café and made his way over to the Bestsellers stack near the center of the store, browsing aimlessly for some literature to get lost in again. He typically gravitated towards Russian literature, but didn't feel particularly depressive that morning. He wondered briefly if Nia read, and if so, what she preferred? Was it presumptuous to coin her for a New Adult Romance type of woman? Perhaps the occasional thriller? Michael found himself entertaining his curiosity until the sound of his name being called brought his attention over his shoulder.

A tad bit lower.

Until his blue eyes met a brown gaze and dimpled smile he knew all too well.

"Nia!" he croaked out at the sight of her. She wasn't dressed in her work clothes, so registering it was really her admittedly took a moment for him—she wore a cream-colored tank top tucked into a pair of denim shorts, as if she was prepared for that days' sweltering heat. Michael observed that the warmth of her tank top created gorgeous contrast with the tone of her brown skin, ever revealed through the low-cut nature of her top...and her bare legs.

Eyes up, you idiot!

"What a surprise!" she exclaimed, all smiles. "Do you come to this Barnes & Noble often? I've never seen you here before."

"No, I just...I have the day off and decided to stop by and pick up something to read."

"And coffee?" Nia held up her own plastic to-go cup. "They have the best drinks here. The barista's are top notch."

"Y-yes," he stammered, holding up his own cup. "Absolutely."

Michael could barely focus with how hard his heart was beating. The last time he saw her was right before he ditched the bar like a thief in the night. And now she was here, casual and beautiful and a reminder of the vow he had made last night to ask her out.

Today.

But there was a plan: catch her on shift in their familiar element. Running into her here seemed to scramble the script in his mind. And now he felt like a fool, staring down at her with little to say.

"By the way," Nia started just as Michael was going to force himself to break the silence. "I...I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Oh?" His polite smile had faded to showcase authentic concern.

"Yeah." Michael noticed Nia play with the lid of her cup as she got her words together. "I didn't want to bring it up, 'cause it didn't feel like my place. But I just...it didn't feel right to not give you a heads up. A-and I had planned to tell you if you showed up at the bar today, but I come here before my shift and, to my surprise, there you are! I was like—"oh, there's Michael! I should say hi!" So, here I am...saying hi...and doing a really shitty job of figuring out what I'm trying to say."