Fuck, I hate doing this. But I have to do everything I can to succeed. I'm not giving Rich the satisfaction of dying down here. I dump my six skill points in Willpower training.

Okay, what else? Attributes. I have two points and... which ones influence Willpower?

System Query: Willpower

Willpower is the pool indicating how far you can push yourself beyond what you are normally capable of. Willpower is governed by the attributes of intelligence and endurance

Thank you System. I don't think one influences it more than the other, so I put my two points in endurance. That's going to help more in the long run.

If I survive this.

Okay. I'm putting every available point of willpower into this.

And go!

I scream in defiance and pain, then the bar falls on my mouth and I bite into it, paper and all. My willpower is basically gone, so it's a good thing the wrapper's not particularly thick. Tastes horrible though, but it's already in my mouth with the bite of the bar. So I chew, then swallow.

The relief isn't total, but it's enough that I feel myself fading again.

* * * * *

I sneeze at something tickling my nose and wake up with a strangled scream of pain. I manage to glares at the piece of the wrapper that caused this, then realize I am breathing easier. My health bar is flashing angrily, with barely a tenth of it remaining. My stamina's still barely existent, so this wasn't restful at all. My willpower is under a quarter.

Probably ain't pulling another one of this for a while.

No nearly black debuffs, so nothing's about to kill me. And the bar's at my mouth, so eating the rest of it is simple, and with each bite, my health raises, debuff vanish and I feel better. Once I'm done, and my heath stops going up, it's around two-third, and I'm still sore everywhere.

Not every debuff's gone.

Debuff, Hairline fracture, right humerus

You have damaged a bone

All actions requiring this arm are taken at a 10% penalty

Debuff, Hairline fracture, right Ulna

You have damaged a bone

All actions requiring this arm are taken at a 10% penalty

Debuff, Hairline fracture, left Femur

You have damaged a bone

All actions requiring this leg are taken at a 10% penalty

Debuff, Hairline fracture, right tibia

You have damaged a bone

All actions requiring this leg are taken at a 10% penalty

Okay. I get the message. No bleeding at least, internal or otherwise.

I have two healing bars left. Not what I want to do, but if I'm going to get out of here, I have to be in top form. Getting a bar to my mouth isn't as hard this time. I even manage to remove the wrapper before I bite into it.

Okay. What happened?

I ran up the wall. Everything was going well. Stamina was low, but not gone. I was almost there and... I fell.

I'm pretty sure I didn't run out of stamina. And if I had, I don't think I would just have fallen. I'd have become exhausted, have to put my will into continuing. The result would still have been me falling, because I'm not exactly known for my willpower, but I wouldn't have simply... what, slipped off?

Can I slip when using my ability? Okay, no response. Which means it's not an outright do this and slip. So did I misunderstand something about how the ability works?

Momentum, ranks: 1

So long as you are running and maintain 2 points of contact on a surface, you can continue to move even if the surface is not horizontal. Maximum angle from horizontal where the ability can be used: 135 Degrees.

Cost: 10 Stamina per second

Okay. Nothing hidden in the text I can make out.

Two points of contact, check, under a hundred thirty-five degree, probably check. If it was beyond, it wouldn't have worked, period, and if anything it gets less steep toward the top, so... what?

I didn't trip on my feet; I didn't stop running. I didn't do anything any different as I reached the edge than I'd done on the way there or when I got out of the basement.

So why?

The System doesn't change the rules, so I'm the one who changed something.

Okay. Step back, think about it. I ran to the wall, stepped on it, and started up. My hand ran along the wall even if there was nothing to grab hold on to because.... I needed the sense of safety touching something engendered?

Anyway, kept going, pulled up on one of the beam to help me, changed my angle to make up time, reached the top, reach for the edge and...

I fell.

Okay. So what did reaching for the edge do that caused the fall?

I moved my hand away from the wall so I could grab on to it.

Except that can't be it. I still had two points of contact and I'd reached up to grab a bar before and that didn't—

I'd reached with my left hand for that one, the right one was still on the wall.

But that doesn't matter, my feet are my two points of contact, so...

Oh, I am such an idiot!

How many points are touching the wall when you raise a foot, Dennis? Not two, you idiot.

Okay. I don't know if putting my hand on the wall is a reflex triggered by the ability.

"If it is, it would be nice for you to update the description, System."

But that's what makes running up the wall possible; it's my second point of contact as I raise my feet.

I glance at my stamina, which is still under half.

A nap to top that up, and then I am getting out of here.

* * * * *

I stretch to limber myself and move to the other side of the space. This time I'm running up the wall so my left hand is touching it. Being right-handed, I want that hand free to do everything else I might need to, like grabbing onto the lip to pull myself out.

Okay. Don't think about how if I fall this time, I'm probably going to join Aaron wherever the System sends the dead, and run.

Hand on the wall first, foot, other foot, look ahead, raise your feet, keep running. Should have used this side first, less obstacles in my path. Go over that one. Half my stamina left, but don't think about that. Eyes forward and up. Change the angle, cut out a second or two. Don't worry about how low the stamina is, or that I don't have enough willpower to push beyond it. Look ahead, I'm almost there.

Stamina's flashing, not good. Can I reach it? Shit, if I'm out of stamina, I'm not going to be able to hold on and pull myself up. Okay, no waiting then. Push off that beam, grab the edge, other hand now!

Pull!

Harder.

Roll on my back, look at the sky.

Laugh as the rain falls.