"Isn't it Valentine's Day?" I questioned, though I knew the answer. "Yeah, so what?" Kaitlyn responded quickly. "Can I talk to Tate?" I interjected. The only way I could decipher Kaitlyn's meaning was through Tate. "Sure thing," she sing-songs.

"Hey, buddy." Tate's voice comes through the line. "What's going on there?" I inquired, wondering if there was a reason behind Kaitlyn's invitation. "She doesn't want you to be lonely tonight," my best friend teased, his mouth sounding like it was full of something. "Tate Vail! I did not say that!" Kaitlyn yelps in the background.

I roll my eyes and furrow my brows. The sound of struggling comes through the speakers of my car and then Kait's voice is back. "Don't listen to him, Miles. I'm inviting you because the three of us don't even celebrate the holiday to begin with so we should spend it together. And make fun of it at the same time."

Well that makes sense. Kind of. "Oh. Okay. Uhm, thanks for the invite, Kait, but I'm gonna have to pass," I tell her. If I wasn't currently in my head, I probably would have taken up her offer. "What, why? Don't listen to Tate, he's just being an ass. Come over, Miles." I shake my head, despite her not being able to see me. "It's not that. I'm just tired from yesterdays game, I wasn't trying to do anything today. Plus it's my first two day break from that asshole. I'll see him on Thursday at practice."

"Heard that!" Tate shouts in the background, causing a smile to tug at my lips. "Okay, well if you change your mind, we'll be here. See you soon." I exchanged goodbyes with Kaitlyn and ended the call. I'm almost at home again. The kid was probably already waiting for me in the driveway. I'm lending him the car again to take Ember out today. I didn't know it was for Valentine's Day but it's all clicking now.

The date they went on this past weekend went 'great'. Those were his exact words. It seems like the kid is finally out of the doghouse and back in little Ember's good graces. I've never seen him so happy which makes me glad they mended things.

While they were all good, it seemed like they had thrown their difficulties at Nola and I. We were the ones on the outs now. Sure, it isn't as bad as JT and Ember's relationship at one point, but it's not great either. Nola claims she isn't upset with me anymore but I can see through her so easily. I'm surprised she keeps on lying to me at this point. The only reason I don't say anything is because I don't want her to be upset.

Not talking to her isn't fun though and I'm currently bored out of my fucking mind without her. I was thinking about calling her today to see if she wanted to do something but I was too much of a pussy to do it.

Just like I thought, JT's standing on the front step as I pull into the driveway. He stands quickly and rushes over to the drivers side. "You FaceTimed me thirty minutes ago! How long was your conversation with that kid?" he asks. I shrug, and get off the car with my bag. "Hey, have you talked to Nola today?" I ask. He hops into the seat after me and shakes his head. "No. I think she's still at practice," he tells me.

I nod my head. "Please be careful. And have fun," I say, making praying hands. "Always, Demps. See you later." He wasted no time, pulling out of the driveway once I was out of the way. I entered the house, setting my bag on the kitchen island. It was only three in the afternoon, and Nola's practices usually ran till five, maybe six.

Still, I decided to shoot her a text. I fished my phone out of my pocket.

Miles: Have any special valentine's day plans or do you want to spend it together?

My brows furrow at the text I just sent. Does that sound like I'm asking her on date? Fuck, it does.

Miles: By that I just mean spend it at my place or yours doing absolutely nothing.