C H A P T E R - IX

E N G A G E D

"zara kabhi meri nazar,
se khud ko dekh bhi...
hai chaand mein bhi daag par,
naa hai tujhmein ek bhi..."

Engagement ceremony, the day when it's considered that the two souls are ready to take a step ahead in their relationship, it's a promise that they are ready to be tied together in the holy knot of being married and just want to be together till the end of their lives and even beyond that, as per the traditional beliefs.

But so is done when the people who are getting married, the souls which are being tied together have known eachother for long enough to decide whether they can spend their whole, entire life together, but in Atharva and Devika's story, it was a mutual understanding made within the timespan of a few minutes that brought them together, along side the happiness of his family, his mother, specially and for her, it was her family's responsibility that they wanted to get rid of, as soon as possible more than their joy, but also the joy of Aarushi and her dream of giving her little Aaru a complete happy, peaceful, family.

"Nervous?" A sigh left Nandini's lips as she smiled down at Devika who sat on a small chair placed infront of the dresser, all dolled up. A subtle smile on her lips appeared as she stared at her final look in the mirror, she knew she looked beautiful and she needed no one to tell her that.

"Thoda sa, shayad" Her eyes moved up to match Nandini's which were still busy adoring how pretty Devika looked.

"Pata hai, jis din I met your brother for the first time, maine toh soch liya tha that I will marry anyone, but him!" A little giggle left Nandini's lips as she pulled a chair to sit next to Devika, taking her henna clad hands in her own.

"Sachi?" Amusement filled Devika's eyes as she curiously awaited the upcoming story.

"Haan, yaad nahi how he looked when he came to my home for the first ever time, baal mein itna gel lagaya tha ki lagraha tha oiling ki hai, and his face, he looked so uninterested as if woh yeh shaadi karna hi nahi chahta. Typical egoistic male vibes thi shakal se!" A loud laugh left both of their mouths as they remembered how Shashank looked that day.

"Phir? Aapne haan kyun kari?"

"Time, bahut time laga samajhne mein ek dusre ko. Immediately no bhi toh nahi bol sakti thi, my parents were too happy with your family background. But when I spoke to your brother, everything changed since then. His words, they were so sweet, calming. His intentions and actions towards me were so full of care and affection. He understood me, my view of life. He respected my choices, my likings, disliking. Everything he did for me made me fall in love with him, slowly. It's always the little efforts, Devu. Always the small things make a big difference. And I am telling you this because I can see, you are scared, skeptical, and very nervous. You don't love him, but I remember what you told me on the terrace that day. And from where I am seeing things, Atharva fits in the shoes of your dream man so well. He is even accepting of Aarushi, he is so soft, kind and loving towards her. Give him a chance Devu, give this relationship a chance, try trusting him. Sab theek hojaega, trust me!" A smile of assurance, of love, of support appeared on Nandini's face as a long tear fell down from Devika's eyes, which was wiped of immediately.

"I trust you, bhabhi!" She nodded her head, leaning in to give her bhabhi a hug, only if she could tell Nandini the real reason of her fear. Only if she could tell her that how his words from their only real conversation has peirced her heart so deep that its bleeding since then. She wished she could open her heart and let it out infront of her bhabhi. But she didn't have the courage to let everyone or just anyone know how unlovable her heart felt that day, how much pain his mere request caused her. He clearly told her that the thing she craved for, all her life. Looked up to, ever so in a glorious way, that love, that feeling, she cannot ever expect from the man who is supposed to make her feel truly loved. But even before she could utter anything, exactly then the door of the room opened, and entered an over the top exited Ayesha with her phone in her hand and her eyes fixed on the screen.