Rejoining | Ch. 28

XXVIII.

Revival

An invaluable ally – or all the power in the world?

He looked to Rithi's still body, atop the faraway stones. He thought of Faunia. He thought of Marisol. He thought of Oelat and Yvesmalia.

I'm alive.

"Yes, that you are."

A woman. Someone was speaking.

"And you're all out of do-overs, now. It was hard enough to retrieve your ley last time..."

He rolled onto his back.

Rykaedi.

"Yes. Good, I'm glad you recognize me."

The Queen of Bone stood over him. Her dress was torn and disheveled. Her bones appeared to be darkened, rotting slightly. She'd been attacked, he figured.

"Wh..." He tried to speak, but found that he could only make noise.

Why?

"You're still our best bet against Kogar, weak as you may be. But with you, Ithlo, Okella, Serkukan, Tirolith... you just might have a fighting chance."

You revived me?

"Mhm!" She nodded excitedly.

But you couldn't save Liara.

"That was a great many years ago – and why do you fools all harp on and on about her? What exactly did she do that was so captivating?"

Hell if I know.

He looked to the sky. It was completely black. All of the esera was gone.

Where's Kogar?

"He fled. Likely to go raze Calamon and Alisa and any other nation which questions his power, now that Tartys has awoken..."

Cedric tried to stand but failed. He could barely even move, still. His body was rigid.

"Take some time to rest. Not too much, mind you. Things are getting serious."

Things have been serious.

"Mm. Perhaps. But not so then as they are now. I had hoped that you would be the one to kill him, before he discovered that we've been conspiring."

Conspiring...?

She tapped her cheek in thought. It clicked loudly with every strike, each strike lined up with his dull, slowed heartbeat.

What about Rithi?

"Oh, I won't bother with him. Never did like him. And I couldn't usurp Throkos like that; I think he needed it."

Cedric shut his eyes. He swallowed burning saliva.

"Alright!" She clapped her hands together. "Then, if that's all you need–"

Cedric grabbed her bone ankle as she turned.

"Rithi..." he hissed.

"Not gonna happen."

"Schematics... The devices in Haketh..."

She considered it for a second. "What would you need those for, now? You've got the Great Red One with you. Take some time to work on that, and we'll speak again soon."