Chapter 1

I smell blood

I smell blood.

I couldn't feel it.

I couldn't feel anything except the slow humming of my heartbeat echoing in my ears.

My eyes were stuck in the same place. I can feel people going forth and back, some coming, talking and then leaving when I don't reply.

The tears strung to my eyelashes, they finally stopped. People have always called me a crybaby. I cry easily. But not right now.

"Sweetie?" Someone touched my arm, their cold hand sent shivers down my spine. My hand trembled, clutching the hem of my dress tightly. The one which is soaked with blood.

My mother's blood.

"Sorry" the woman apologies, watching me with sympathy. My throat feels tight, too tight and swelled to let out any words after crying and screaming for I don't know how long.

"Do you have any family members? Who can come to the station and sign the form?" She asked.

My eyebrows pulled in frown. She must've seen my confusion because she added straight away. "Your mother's body is being sent to a forensic team for further investigation" she spoke like she's teaching a kid to speak alphabets.

I nod my head negativily. "It's just me and mom" my voice was barely audible but I can feel her sucking in sigh.

And now it's just me.

She must've been annoyed by me now. From the moment they had taken me here, she was nothing but kind. At any other moment or in any circumstances I would have enjoyed her great company but not right now.

"Oh sweetie" she rubbed my arm gently with motherly love. My eyes brimmed with fresh tears, sob crawling up to my mouth. My eyes close And I feel a soft furry ball crawling on my lap.

I open my eyes, looking at Blue, my cat. Every other day she'll be a little demon and won't even let me touch her or play with her. Maybe she knows that we don't have our mother anymore. It's just her and me. I wrapped my hand around her neck, scratching the soft fur behind her ear. She mewled quietly and leaned on my touch, making me smile a little but it didn't last long.

The woman spoke again. "I'll talk with officers, let's see what they say. Do you want to eat something honey?" She didn't even let me answer her and continued.
"Of course, you do. I'll send someone with some food and water. If you want you can freshen up in the bathroom. It's in the last corridor" she instructed gently, pointing at the corridor.

I looked at the corridor and then decided to wash Blue's face. She had some traces of blood coated in the her fur. That must've been uncomfortable for her. And itchy too. I stood up, my feet felt numb from sitting uncomfortably, the sensation paralyzed me for a moment before they started working.

Blue for once kept quiet when I held her in the nook of my arm. When I grab the towel and try to give her a sponge bath but she glared at me, baring her teeth. I scowled back at her.