CH 8.1 From Implosion to Explosion

Brockner stumbled and scrambled down the sidewalk, his strides desperate as he pursued Gabe. His expensive suit was disheveled and damp with sweat, while his manicured hands fumbled to tuck in his greasy hair. As he leaned over a black wrought-iron fence to catch his breath, Gabe slowly drew his sword and eyed the man's every move. Meanwhile, Rile watched from afar, content with eavesdropping.

"I know you don't trust me, but at least hear me out." Brockner's voice shook and his chest heaved as he tried to steady himself. His hands were shaking as he ran them through his disheveled hair. His Adam's apple bobbed nervously before he cleared his throat and continued, desperation radiating from his eyes. "You and your friends are in terrible danger. We all are. Now that Alex has been restored to her full potential, we have to stop her."

"We? I don't trust Alex, but I certainly don't trust you," Gabe said firmly.

"I don't blame you. You can't help the way you feel about her," Brockner said quietly, his gaze cast downward.

Gabe moved away from the man, unwilling to face any discussion of his relationship with Alex.

"I never would have hurt your friend or your brother. I was testing Alex, to see just what powers and what part of her personality and memories had been restored. We built the perfect agent, too perfect. We gave her the ability to stun, to kill, to inflict agonizing pain. . . if only we had stopped there. Brockner ran his hands through his hair, despair etched into every line of his face.

Gabe observed Brockner's anguish with a calm, detached expression.

Brockner continued, "But we thought that greatest achievement of all was the ability to inspire love and devotion in whomever she chooses. It's perfect, don't you see? If you can't threaten or torture the information you need out of someone, simply make them fall senselessly in love with you. Then you have all the information you ever wanted. Every secret, every rumor will be spilled out in the heat of passion. And in case you need it, you have an ally, an insider to help you destroy whatever you wish." He leaned forward and his gaze pierced Gabe's eyes like burning daggers. Can't you understand that you're just another victim?"

Gabe shook his head, as if trying to shake off Brockner's words. "Why should I believe you?"

Brockner knew that seeing beneath the surface was the real key to control. The creature already believed and wanted to be proven wrong. But he was here alone. There was no one here to reassure him, no brother to point out his lover's loyalty or to correctly interpret her actions. There was only Brockner, who planned to twist him until he jumped through hoops of betrayal.

Brockner nervously glanced around the room as his trembling fingers extracted a small electronic device from his coat pocket. He held it out for Gabe, anxiously tapping his foot as he spoke. "Here, please listen to this. It's only a sample, but she'd kill me if she knew I had recorded it. She may find out anyway though; I know the truth about her." With a sigh, he pushed the play button and waited in vain for Gabe to take it.

Alex's voice - the same unyielding, metallic tone she had used in the secret lab - projected from the machine. "I've played this role long enough and I'm done. When are you going to take care of them? I've got better things to do than be the monster." The response was a high-pitched screech before everything went silent.

Brockner looked up from the machine with a grim expression on his face. "I had to stop recording before she could suspect. I know it must be hard for you to accept."

"It was all a lie." Gabe said, almost inaudible, but Brockner didn't have to hear him well to know what he was saying.

Brockner's excellently trained face showed no sign of his thoughts. "Look, no one likes being used. It's . . . well, it's humiliating to have been shown up as some kind of trusting idiot."