Everything in my life has been so crazy lately, I've hardly had the time to talk to, or see, Cass. It's not normal for us, and I know her feelings are hurt. I wish more than anything I could explain it to her, but unfortunately, I just can't.

"I've been okay," I clear my throat. "Just... a lot going on."

I hear her inhale deeply through her nose, and let it out in the form of a sigh. "I wish you would talk to me about it," she mumbles, her voice laced with sadness.

"Cass," I sigh, shaking my head. "I told you I can't."

"What the hell does that even mean, Katie?" She huffs, glancing at me with furrowed brows. "You always tell me everything. I feel like you're shutting me out, and I don't know why."

I purse my lips, my frustration growing. I know she's angry, but she doesn't understand. I want to tell her, but I can't.

"I'm not shutting you out," I groan, pinching the bridge of my nose as I shut my eyes in an attempt to calm down.

I don't want to snap at Cass, this isn't her fault.

"It's compl-"

"Is this about Harry?" She cuts me off. Her words come out almost like the question was an accident, her voice starting off strong, and faltering to a whisper.

My eyes snap open, and I swiftly turn my head to look at her. "What are you talking about?" I ask nervously.

Firstly, what has Niall been telling her? I don't like the fact that I'm a topic of conversation when I'm not around. I feel like I have a right to know what exactly they're saying about me.

Secondly, what could she possibly know about us? Has Harry said something to the guys? Or has our new form of "friendship" been that obvious? I try not to act any differently at work, but things have been different.

I've felt different.

"Ever since you met him, you've been acting so... weird," she explains, sounding more and more irritated by the second. "Is this, like, a form of Stockholm syndrome or something?"

A laugh escapes me, and I blink a few times at her in bafflement. "You're being ridiculous." I roll my eyes, crossing my arms in front of my chest. "I said I can't talk about it, Cass. Can you just respect that?"

A pang of sadness hits me when the last few words slip from my lips. Cass and I never argue, but she has every right to be upset with me. I've been a terrible friend.

"Okay," she whispers, sniffling softly as if she's trying to stop herself from crying. "I won't talk about it anymore. I just... I miss my best friend."

I roll my lips into my mouth, the corners of my eyes pricking with tears as I hesitantly place my hand on her leg. I can feel how soft the satin material of her slip is as I stroke her thigh with my thumb.

"I'm sorry I've been so distant," I sigh. "I promise to make more of an effort, okay?"

She sniffs again, peering at me briefly before nodding her head. I can see the tears that have welled up just above her waterline, and it makes my heart clench.

"Okay." A small, forced smile turns the corners of her mouth upwards. "I love you, I hope you know that."

"I know, I love you too," I chuckle sadly. "I hope you know that."

She places her right hand over my left one still resting on her thigh, squeezing it gently in response as she turns onto Louis's street. "Apparently we're meeting Louis's new girlfriend tonight," Cass changes the subject, finding a parking spot a little ways down the busy street.