• 05

you didn't say goodbye. you just left.

i went back to the beach where we usually hang out and i found a letter in a bottle.

it didn't seem like it was something you would do, jake. but it didn't seem like you would leave, either. so maybe i didn't know you so well after all.

i unfolded the letter and saw a whole page of words. you told me you hated to write. you did for me, but only when you left.

dear reese, you wrote,

this is not the way i wanted to leave you. hell, reese, i never planned on leaving. it's my parents; they have finally divorced. i had to follow my mother to america. i never had a chance to say goodbye. i'm sorry.

i know you hate sorry's. but i had to say them anyway.

reese, i think it's clear that i fell for you right from the start, just as you were starting to fall for me. i know it in your eyes. you looked at me the way you used to look at daniel.

i love you, reese. i truly do.

i want you to love me back, reese. but not this way. you were starting to see me as daniel, the one who stole your heart first.

but i'm not him, reese. i will only ever be me.

i will come back for you, reese. i hope that in your heart, you will wait for me. and i hope that when i come back, i can make you love me for me.

i love you, till eternity.

love,
jake.