• 01

you left. but you came back, just like i did.

"hey," you said, settling down beside me on a spot on the sand, like it was meant for you. "how are you doing today, liv?"

with all the patience i could muster, i said through clenched teeth, "my. name. isn't. liv."

"oh, yeah?" you said. "tell me what it is, then."

i let out a sigh. "it's reese."

"hello, reese. and since you asked, i'm jake," you said, grinning, although i didn't. i didn't ask.

"you know, i don't mean to be rude, reese," you said, "but you look quite stubborn."

"and you look like you should stay away from me," i said dryly.

you let out a low chuckle, one which fondly reminded me of daniel's. "your sense of humour is still intact," you said.

i rolled my eyes and looked away.

"so," you said, "i surf sometimes."

"nobody asked," i replied.

"ouch!" you exclaimed, mocking a hurt expression.

"so what's your hobby?" you asked. "pushing people away?"

that, somehow, made me laugh.

"yeah," i said, "so don't take it personally."

"i didn't. trust me, no sane person would be able to resist my charms."

"yeah, right," i said sarcastically and you grinned.

i never told you that besides you, i never talked to anyone else after daniel left me. i wondered if you knew that only you annoyed me enough to make me speak back.