Genesis

CONTEXT:

I still remember the day that the apocalypse broke out, an apocalypse caused by genome modification of the Rabies virus in an attempt to target certain age groups to prevent overpopulation, which backfired horribly in just a small time frame.

At first, it seemed like a good idea, but soon proved to devolve the world into an indescribably hazardous place. Despite the warnings, the government of the country that modified the genome of the virus still carried out the plan.

It wasn't until the virus started to become extremely hazardous to not certain age groups, but all of them. The contagion spread like a wildfire, to every corner of the planet. It was dubbed "The Lazarus Virus" by multiple countries around the world, named after the person from the Bible that came back to life shortly after dying, mirroring the almost reanimated nature of the infected.

And not long after, it killed my family members, one by one. Turning them into very fast, very aggressive, almost zombie-like husks. It would start with just minimal symptoms, you know. Like coughing and a fever, but soon would escalate into symptoms such as aggression, mania, seizures, necrosis and paralysis, then death.

For some reason, I was never touched by the virus, despite being in close contact with the rest of my family members. People believed that some were immune from the virus, but me, personally, I just think that it's down to extreme dumb luck.