Not at the anxiety of if he had gone home to my completely unsuspecting parents apologising but because his words were so sweet it was as though he'd crystallised them in toffee. Each syllable strung together to form compassion and whilst his mind was working to think of me, mine was too—a selfish reality.

"Oh," I say, my eyes widening. "Yeah, it's probably a good idea you don't mention it to them, like ever. It's a very sensitive topic," I manage and he nods.

"Of course."

"But why are you here, I thought the trip was until Sunday?" My question elicits a sharp wince from him and he stretches his broad arms to ease the tension my word wind up.

"Well my parents were pretty close to grounding me too. Things sort of got out of hand after you left, I regret not leaving with you. Molly had made the party a public event on social media and asked a very famous DJ friend of hers come, advertising as such. Sooo yeah, not great."

I stare at him in shock and he laughs nervously. "Oh my god, no way," I say and he nods.

"Unfortunately yes way, wolfsbane liquor is Molly's weakness. But we've all been given our punishments so this is me escaping the awkwardness of my mothers glares. She is insistent that you will not want to be around me if I am a delinquent," he says, still smiling and I laugh at that.

If she knew of my involvement on Friday she'd have an entirely different opinion. And if Gabe punching him in the face was any indication as to my choice of friends... my eyes drift to the spot that edges the hard curve of his jaw automatically. There isn't a bruise—of course there wouldn't be, but the bridge of my nose creases all the same.

"I'm sorry about Friday," I admit, biting the inside of my lip to quell my anxiety. "I really drank way too much and then everything that happened—I shouldn't have done any of it."

His eyes widen with shock before he shakes his head. "You don't need to apologise to me." His words tumble from his mouth. "You had fun and drank more than maybe you should have, but it's fine—honestly. Next time I will just make sure there's human strength stuff around, you don't have to apologise to me for partying."

He says it like it's the most obvious thing in the world and I nod. "I know, just everything else that went down, you getting punched. My friends shouldn't have made things physical, it was really a big misunderstanding."

The small crease that flattens out between his brows speaks a thousand words. He doesn't verbalise it, but I know he didn't expect me to bring the incident up, and that he likely doesn't think its a misunderstanding. Gabe straight up told him how he felt about our bond, and he certainly wasn't fawning and offering kind words of congratulations.

"Oh, yeah," he says, rubbing the back of his neck as his lips form a firm line. "That was a lot. Definitely not how I thought the night would go, that's for sure." My breath catches in my throat as I wait for more of a response, and seeing my anxiety makes him drop his arm and return his grin. "I'm honestly slightly embarrassed that I didn't see the blow coming, my dad would not be impressed if he knew I allowed myself to be hit square in the jaw. Are they here with you?"

His question doesn't make my anxiety lessen but I should've known the question was coming. "They've gone back to the shop," I tell him and he nods.

I know there is more he wants to say about it, words he won't let himself speak—not now anyway. "Did you want to come hang out with us? Molly is still grounded but Ben and James are in the middle of a pretty epic sandcastle competition, you could help me judge," he offers.

"Sure," I decide and he beams so brightly I think if he were a light bulb he'd explode.

"Cool," his response is surrounded by a loose breath I didn't realise he was holding. He forces himself to relax his posture and I can tell he tries to lessen his smile. "Honestly you shouldn't expect great things, I think my youngest brother has made better castles. But they are both very adamant that a winner is decided."