𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎

Start from the beginning

I take a deep breath of the fragrant air, basking in the warmth and comfort of the kitchen. It's a pleasant contrast to the stony and intimidating atmosphere of the rest of the palace.

"Your Highness?"

Turning around, I see that all of the servants have finally noticed me. Some of them bow politely, while others remain confused. "What are you doing here?" another servant asks.

Shit.

I freeze, trying to come up with a lie on the spot. Luckily, I'm good at these things. "I just came to let everyone know that my father had requested that all of you take a break for the evening."

The servants quickly understand what I'm implying and nod along. They don't need to be told twice; any break from their exhausting work is a godsend. One of them even cheers in excitement, and the rest join along.

I hold a hand to my chest, pretending to be embarrassed by all the attention. The truth is that I absolutely love being the center of attention—as long as it's not in a large crowd of people. It fills me with a sense of power and control that I rarely get to feel.

"Wait," a gravelly voice interrupts, causing the contagious joy to die down.

All of the kitchen staff part to make way for the head chef, an old man who has been working for my family before I was even born. He wears a black chef coat, making him stand out from everyone else. His gray patches of hair contrast with his outfit, along with his tan and wrinkly skin, accompanied by age spots under his sunken eyes.

"And why hasn't His Majesty told us this himself instead of sending his little girl—a known troublemaker—to do it for him?" he queries, his Italian accent thick.

Can't a girl just eat without being questioned?

Alex shoots a warning look in my general direction, but it's too late. The eyes of every servant in the room are on me, judging and waiting for my response.

I plaster on a fake smile, hoping to buy myself some time. "Because my father is too busy with his Royal Court meetings to stop by and visit. He just wanted me to let you all know that you deserve a break from all your hard work," I say, acting as politely as I can.

The old man's wrinkles deepen as he scowls at me. It's obvious that he doesn't buy my excuse. As the head chef, his reputation is more important than anything else. He can't afford any mistakes or misunderstandings with the king's orders.

"I understand that, but it's still unusual," he replies with a skeptical tone. "His Majesty has always made it a point to notify us himself whenever we need to take a break."

With my charm, I try to convince him further. "Well, he's getting older, and perhaps he's forgotten some things lately. He must have just forgotten."

The old man continues to stare at me with piercing eyes. I can see him thinking, his mind whirring, and searching for the right move to make. After what feels like an eternity, he sighs and nods. "Okay, I'll send the word out to everyone. But please tell your father we all thank him for his kindness."

Thank God.

I give him a deep bow to show my gratitude. The other servants start buzzing with excitement again, some of them hugging each other while others clap. It's like life has been injected back into them, and it makes me happy to see them looking joyful.