𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗

Start from the beginning

With a playful nudge at her shoulder, I put my hands in my pockets and started walking alongside her. The whole time, Elena's gaze never wavers from the glass windows that overlook the hills and surrounding water.

My instincts are telling me that she's about to ask for something, and they're right because she turns to face me after a moment. "Let's go out to the Royal Gardens."

Sighing, I stop in my tracks. "The weather isn't nice out today. Why do you want to go outside?"

The princess rolls her eyes and starts tugging at my arm. "Just because it's cloudy doesn't mean it's not nice," she counters. "Come on, Alex. I want fresh air—and besides, we can go for a stroll."

When she looks up at me with those innocent-looking, deceiving eyes, it's hard to say no. After all, her eyes are beautiful. In fact, it's making me want to watch them roll back.

I give in and let her pull me forward. "As you wish. Let's go," I relent, starting to take control of my legs again and walking beside her, my hand squeezing hers.

We make our way through the palace halls, past the bustling servants, to the large double doors that lead to the Royal Gardens. With a push, we venture outside, and fresh, cool air hits me immediately. A gust of wind washes over the two of us, causing the princess's dress to flap and swirl around her body, briefly drawing my attention in a way I refuse to admit.

I clear my throat and snap out of my trance, averting my gaze to the path trailing in front of us. There are a range of stunning and colorful blooms as autumn approaches.

The gardens are filled with trees displaying a range of hues, from deep reds and oranges to bright yellows and pinks. Many late-blooming flowers and plants, including chrysanthemums, aster, and golden rod, make up the entirety of the flower beds—with some exceptions.

On the right side stands a huge gazebo with a fountain nearby, adding to the overall sense of grandeur and majesty. The gazebo's exterior is made of intricately carved wood with ornate trim and a striking roof that is supported by slender columns. The fountain, on the other hand, is constructed of metalwork, with water flowing over a range of levels and onto a polished granite base.

The princess crosses a small bridge running over a stream of water, and I follow suit, breathing in the floral air. The scent of the flowers reminds me a lot of Elena's natural fragrance, minus the hint of vanilla.

"Isn't it so beautiful?" she asks with a soft and delicate lilt in her voice while she twirls around and takes in the sight.

My gaze locks on her, admiring her grace in the way she walks and holds herself. "It is," I respond softly, except I'm not talking about the Royal Gardens.

I quickly scan over the area to make sure nobody's watching, and once I'm sure that there aren't other people, such as staff, around, I hold Elena's hand in mine once again. We walk together, but she suddenly stumbles, and her heel falls off.

"Damn it," she curses under her breath, but I notice her groan in discomfort when she tries to reach down to fix it.

She must still be sore.

I drop to a knee and pick up the heel, slipping it back on. The sensation of her smooth, soft skin against my hand sends a shiver down my spine. But I keep my cool as I adjust her shoe so that it's comfortable and secure for her.