Chapter 1

"Adele!", Agahta exclaimed looking at a young woman still laying in bed

"Adele!", Agahta exclaimed looking at a young woman still laying in bed. Adele just made a small hand signal gesturing the maid stop worrying.

Adeleine was already a 25-year old woman. Way over the appropriate marriage age. But still she dreamed of a love marriage. Something about love fascinated her, she wanted to experience that.

Her father on the other hand had been patient, but now he made clear Adeleine needed to find a husband or he will do it. This evening's ball might be one of her last chances. So with a big sigh Adeleine dragged her body in front of her dressing table.

Agahta lowered her hand to the young woman's shoulder and gave her a reassuring squeeze.

"My lady, I am content that this time you will find love", Agahta said while grabbing a hairbrush. She started brushing Adeleine's long blond hair.

Adeleine smiled slightly at her maid who had become like a sister to her.

The next thing Adeleine remembered was their fighting dress on Adeleine. The fight was over when the young woman could barely breathe anymore. "Corsets will be the end of me", Adeleine said out of breath half jokingly. Agahta just rolled her eyes at the blonde.

Knocking on the door did stop the woman. It was her father's servant. "Lady Sullivan I am sorry to inform you that your fathers condition has rapidly declined", the man said looking at the woman.

The smile on Adeleine's face disappeared. She tried to collect herself quickly. "The doctors?", she asked praying in her mind that they would have figured out something. "They haven't figured out yet what is behind his illness. Although there is a new doctor in town. Would you like to invite them to give their opinion?".

"Yes", Adeleine said firmly without any hesitation. Looking back she wouldn't know what to do. She wanted to save her father, but she would lose herself.

~

Adeleine was walking her chin up down the hallway towards her father's chambers. She stopped near the door when she saw the handle being pushed down. Next thing she would always remember even eyes were closed. From her father's bedroom came a man. Adeleine remembers her breathing stopping for a fleeing moment. The young man was nothing but utterly gorgeous. She hadn't ever seen anyone so handsome. The man's hair was styled neatly and the eyes. Dear lord... Those eyes. Adeleine had never seen anything like that in her living years. They were like liquid gold. She got lost in them and never wanted to get out.

"Lady Sullivan?", a smooth calming voice called out to her. She snapped back to reality. The man was walking towards her.

"Dr. Carlisle Cullen", the young man said bowing at her. "It is a pleasure to meet you doctor", she said going to bow but the man grabbed her hand and pulled her up. "Just call me Carlisle", Carlisle said and gave her a warm smile.

"You can call me Adeleine, but are you being nice to me just because you have unfortunate news?", she asked with skepticism. Her right brow slightly raised.

Carlisle's expression changed. "Maybe we should go for a little walk", he asked. Adeleine knew how inappropriate it would be without chaperone. Against her better judgement she just nodded. She wanted this moment alone with the doctor. The news can't be good.

~

At the garden the sun wasn't shining. The day was cloudy. Light wind was sending Adeleine's few hair strands to her face from her hair that was otherwise on a tight braided bun.

When she and Carlisle were walking their hands brushed. Even just for a moment, the feeling it caused in her was something she could never explain. She felt an electric feeling going through her. She didn't even almost notice how cold his hand was. But just almost.

"Doctor- Carlisle are you quite well? Your hand is really cold? Should we head back inside?", she asked worried. Why was she worried? She always cared for everyone, but this time it felt different.

Carlisle turned to look at her with a slight chuckle. "I am quite well, do not worry", he said sending a warm smile. His smile however faded away and he came to a stop near a bench. He gestured for her to sit. She did while waiting anxiously for what Carlisle was about to tell her.

"First I am really sorry, Lady Adeleine. I do not wish this upon anyone, but he is dying. There is really nothing I or anyone else can do", he said while watching her expression with great sorrow.

Adeleine felt like someone punched her and took all the air out of her. The tears burning behind her eyes, ready to flow to her cheeks. She tried to breathe, but she felt like she couldn't. She closed her eyes, but the burning tears became streaming down to her face. She felt a sudden cold near her face. She deducted that was from Carlisle's hand, he was deciding whether he should wipe the tears away or not. He got a grip from his feelings and pulled his hand back.

"I am really sorry", he said. "You have nothing to apologize", she said while letting out a shaky breath. She opened her eyes. Carlisle kneeled down in front of her and examined her with his golden eyes. He lifted her chin up slightly with his cold hand and moved her head a bit. His gaze was burning her. She stared at the eyes she would every time get lost.

"You should get some rest", he said letting his hand fall down leaving Adeleine craving for his touch. She decided just to nod, because she didn't trust her voice.