Diner Disaster

My body jolted awake from a not so deep and calming slumber as I felt something on my chest. From my groggy state, I lifted my head up a little to see what had woken me. But when I looked up, I was met with Alpine just licking her front paw before putting it back down again and continuing to stare at me.

I let my head fall back down onto my mattress, a groan of annoyance leaving my lips. "You know Alpine, if you wanted my attention, there were other ways to get it than scaring me awake. You know I don't like being woken up abruptly." She only meowed in response.

I just sighed and closed my eyes for a while. Eventually, I felt her get off of me and strut closer to my face. She went behind my head before peeking over my forehead to look at me. I just looked at her in astoundment. She then lifted her paw and placed it down on my right eye. Not enough pressure to hurt me, but just to mess with me.

I just started to laugh at her antics before finally getting up from my torn up mattress on the floor. I crouched down and picked up my blanket before laying it across my bed, making sure it was even. Smiling at my work, I went to walk away, but then I saw Alpine plop herself right in the middle of my newly made bed.

I looked at her and just rolled my eyes before walking to where I kept my limited amount of clothes. I had work today, as it was a Thursday. Work wasn't usually as busy this time of week, but regardless, I had to be there for my shift.

I grabbed a pair of black leggings and a simple white tee. It had a few stains here and there, but I usually covered them with a hoodie. As I set the clothes to the side for later, I walked over to the fridge to grab Alpine's breakfast.

I grabbed her food bowl and set it on a stable surface before opening the can of food and placing it in the bowl. Alpine rushed over to me quickly, meowing and brushing against my legs, waiting for me to give her the food.

I set it on the table, and she jumped up and started eating. I looked at her for a moment before going to my little cubby space near the wall to grab my clothes that I had set down earlier.

By the time I was done getting dressed, Alpine was done with her food. So, walking back to her bowl, I grabbed it and set it in the sink. The water faucet in the sink doesn't work, so I'd have to grab a couple of water bottles to wash it later. But, right now I have to get ready for work.

I didn't bother to eat breakfast since I most likely would be grabbing a snack later in the day. From there, I walked over to the side of my mattress and grabbed my little flip phone. It was an older design, but it did its job just like any other phone.

I grabbed a hoodie off the corner of the chair at my table and was ready to head out. But just as I opened the door and took a step out, I realized that I had forgotten to give Alpine her goodbye pets. So, shaking my head playfully, I walked back into my apartment to find Alpine.

I found her sitting on the table, cleaning her paw, occasionally wiping her face. I walked over to her and started stroking her head with my hand. Her fur could be described as soft as a newborn bunny. Even after all the time she spent on the streets.

She purred and leaned into my touch. I just looked at her with happiness in my eyes. This was the life I wanted. Away from my problems, the world not seeing me as Hydra's Tyranny, nor the Captain's daughter, but for who I was. Blaire Rose Carter. A fifteen year old just trying to get by.

After a minute or so, I stopped petting Alpine. As soon as my hand left her fur, she looked at me, staring me down. Not in a menacing way, but almost pleadingly.

"No, Alpine. I have to go to work. You know the rules. I'll be back sooner or later. I always am."

Closing the door behind me, I continued my walk to work. The thing about where my apartment was in the building was that it was the only one that was functional to live in. The only problem was that it was like 23 stories high. So the stairs were always a workout for me. Thankfully, the super soldier serum helped ease that problem.

So, 23 flights of stairs later, I finally made it to the entrance door of my apartment complex. So, opening the door to the world  outside, work was my next destination.

The streets were busy, people pushing past each other trying to get places. It reminded me of Brooklyn. The place where I once called home. Of course, the two places looked extremely different in many ways. The atmosphere of the two is what reminded me.

After hurrying down the streets like so many others, I finally managed to get into the building where I needed to be. I opened the door and was met with the bright smile of my coworker. It was the same one he gave me every time I walked into work. "Good morning, Marcel." I greeted him.

"Morning, Blaire. I have a feeling that today's going to be busy. So be prepared." With that, he continued to go and tidy tables before rush hour came along. I went to join him in cleaning not too long after. Scrubbing the sticky maple syrup off of the shiny wooden tables with a worn down wash rag. Then, he went to return the condiments to where the napkin dispenser was.

Eventually, we got them all tidied and organized. Just in time, because rush hour was going to begin shortly. Just as the clock hit twelve, people started pooling in. They took their respective seats at the different tables and booths throughout the restaurant. 

The woman who owned the restaurant did the cooking part and damn. Was she good at her job. Marcel occasionally helped either one of us. It depended on who needed the help more. He was blonde, around 5'8, and very chatty. I think it's why customers liked him so much.

I grabbed my notepad and a blue pen, and began to take people's orders, and delivered them what they wanted. It wasn't until around half an hour later when the TV that was in the corner, stopped me in my tracks. A news reporter stated, looking the camera dead on, "Failed mission by the Avengers leaves hundreds injured, and over 20 people dead in Lagos Nigeria."

It then showed footage of a burning building, flames coating the entirety of the top stories. Then it panned to people carrying bodies on gurneys, a white sheet covering them. A limp hand can be seen peeking from beneath the white sheet.

I just looked at the TV, lost in thought. That's when I felt someone approach me from behind. They placed their hand on my shoulder, shaking me out of my trance. "Blaire, I know it's sad, but we have work to do." I just looked at him and nodded. As he walked away, I shook the expression off of my features and continued to take and deliver people's orders.

A/N: I know it's been so long, and I want to apologize. I couldn't find the motivation to write, so I took a break. Writer's block was also an ingredient in the mix, but that's irrelevant currently. I'll try to get chapters published without taking such big breaks, but school starts soon. Anyway, stay safe and enjoy.

-KK