The concubines resorted to a range of inexplicable and cruel acts. They confined him within a wine cellar, at times burn his clothing, or even wreck his living quarters. In a particularly horrifying instance, they attempted to drown him in a frigid fishpond, deriving amusement from his lack of swimming skills. A stroke of luck intervened, as the Prime Minister, who was feeding his fish nearby, rescued him.

Although his life was spared, Xiaoniao's health deteriorated. With no willing imperial doctors to aid him, his two servants, Lixin and Yangfan, took it upon themselves to diligently care for their ill master.

The relentless bullying of the helpless Fool Empress escalated day by day, eventually Ended up in a tragic act of poisoning. This unfortunate incident led to Xiaoniao's current state, lying bedridden, patiently awaiting the inevitable.

Death held no fear for Xiaoniao, for he had nothing left to lose in this lifetime. What concerned him more was the fate of Lixin and Yangfan once he was gone. He fervently prayed that they would find a kind new master who would shield them from further torment.

As he faced his impending demise, he hoped they would not follow him into the afterlife, as they had vowed upon his passing. Both of his devoted servants possessed bright prospects, a stark contrast to the squandered potential they expended in their loyalty to him. Talented and clever in their own right, it was a shame they weren't born into noble families.

In this lifetime, the single remorse that lingered within Xiaoniao's heart was his unwavering belief that kindness would always find its way back to him.

The night sky stretched above, aglow with a multitude of twinkling stars, casting a serene ambiance upon the world below.

"Ah, what a splendid night," Xiaoniao mused, gazing up in window.

The tranquil stillness of the night was disrupted by the sudden burst of a firework's whistle. Brilliant colors erupted against the dark canvas of the sky, painting it with hues of red, yellow, blue, and countless others. The visual spectacle unfolded like a breathtaking symphony of light and sound.

A smile graced Xiaoniao's lips. Tonight marked the Emperor's wedding night, the occasion when he formally took his new concubine as his legitimate wife. This strategic move ensured that upon Xiaoniao's eventual passing, the title of Empress would transition to her. With a deep, contemplative breath, Xiaoniao found a sense of contentment. He could finally find solace, free from the constant burden of worrying about whether someone would sit by his majesty's side, offering him companionship.

Though he could never fill that role himself, the mere existence of someone to share in the emperor's troubles brought him a measure of happiness.

Exerting an effort, Xiaoniao positioned himself a bit more upright, reaching out for an item placed in a basket woven from rattan and stationed beside his bedside.

Resting within the basket was a colossal egg, comparable in size to a newborn baby. The egg boasted an elegant, elongated form, gleaming with a golden hue that signified careful preservation. Light in weight, it lay comfortably within Xiaoniao's grasp, nestling in his arms.

Wrapped tenderly in a blanket he had personally crafted, the Fool Empress gazed upon the egg, a bittersweet smile tugging at the corners of his lips. This egg, he knew, was the very emblem that had bestowed upon him the title of Empress.

The Emperor's egg, a rarity of symbolic significance. Whosoever could nurture it from its original size to a hatching state would be bestowed the esteemed title of Empress. Xiaoniao had achieved this feat within a surprisingly brief span of time, yet he bore a sense of disappointment. Regrettably, he had not succeeded in hatching the egg.

A feeling of inadequacy overcame him, akin to that of a mother who could not bring her child into the world. His egg had not even been afforded the chance to witness the world, to experience the privileges of its princely or princessly status, or even to encounter its own progenitor. The Emperor had already bestowed the title of crown prince upon a Hatchling from one of his cherished concubines.

As if speaking to the egg, Xiaoniao murmured, “I hope you will find it in your heart to pardon my failure to hatch you—" His words were abruptly interrupted by a harsh coughing fit, and blood trickled down from his lips.

Summoning a faint smile, the Male Empress delicately wiped his mouth with his sleeve before placing the egg beside his pillow. With a purposeful push, he toppled the lamp from the table, allowing it to tumble onto the floor. The room's silence soon gave way to the crackling of flames as the fire began to spread.

Contentment settled upon him as he reclined on the bed, cradling the egg in his arms, akin to a mother cherishing her offspring. Xiaoniao was finally able to rest, his heart at ease. He only hoped his loyal friends, who had served as his companions and servants for five years, would find it within themselves to pardon his departure.

Sometimes, life concludes in unforeseen ways, yet amidst the uncertainty, it is vital to treasure what one possesses rather than harbor bitterness over what remains unattainable.

__

*Note* this is Raw unedited chapter.