3. Rescue

Ignoring my instinctual caution for the wild animal I slung my rifle on my back. I stepped cautiously towards the wolf, my thoughts racing. Gently, I knelt beside the wolf and tentatively laid my hand on its brown neck. The fur was soft underneath my hand and its body warm. 

The wolf slowly opened it's exhausted amber eye, but did not move. Its breathing was slowed. I began calculating how I would transport the wolf back home. The answer appeared before me when I glanced up at the tree line across the meadow where I knew Tobin was standing patiently. He would be my muscle and was my only hope getting this beautiful creature from the brink of death.

I stood and glanced down at the beast one more time before I ran to Tobin. His ear twitched as I retrieved rope, a hatchet, and game bags from my hunting pack. I swiftly cut down a couple of small, sturdy tree branches and stripped the leaves with the hatchet. I began to fashion a makeshift stretcher out of the rope, bags, and branches. I had learned how to do this in my hunter's course, I just never thought I would be using it on a wolf.

Once I was satisfied with my stretcher I used more rope to attach it to my saddle, so it would drag behind Tobin like a sled. I gently grabbed Tobin's reins and began to walk him over to the wolf. I made soothing sounds to Tobin as his skin quivered and his nostrils flared once he caught the scent of the wounded predator. His natural instinct was to trample the wolf beneath his sharp hooves. A horse would flee at the smell of a predator, but a mule would  fight.

I calmed him as best I could, and with determination fueling my actions, I unattached the stretcher from Tobin temporarily. I tied a noose of rope around the wolf's hindlegs. It didn't even flinch. I then looped the other end of the rope attached to the wolf around my saddle horn and urged Tobin forward. I was able to get the wolf maneuvered onto the stationary stretcher. It was a feat and I was sweating bullets, but it was a race against time for both daylight and the wolf's life. I knew my way home in the dark, but I didn't want to trying to loading a wolf onto a stretcher in the darkness of night.

I found out the wolf was male as I began fastening him down to the stretcher. He was being compliant for the moment, but I didn't fully trust the beast. I felt possessed with an urge to work faster as I tied knots quickly, securing the wolf down. I wrapped my blanket over the wolf's body before I stepped back and admired my work. It was ramshackle, but it would have to do.

The wolf let out a small whine. I carefully knelt back down and placed my hand on his neck and soothed, "It will be ok big guy. I will fix you up once I get home." He slid his eye open and then shut again as he acknowledged me. My only reason for his compliance, is he must have been a human raised wolf that had been released back into the wild so he was used to human smell and touch. 

I reattached the stretcher with rope to my saddle before I mounted Tobin and urged him forward. We had a long trek home. We went at a slow, even pace with the stretcher dragging behind us. I was careful to choose the most smooth path home I was able, but there were still some rough patches of terrain we had to trek over. I prayed the wolf would not be jostled around too much. My prayers were answered when the wolf made no sound or attempt to escape his bindings as we carried on into the darkening day.

The sky was dark and the stars were glistening in the sky by the time I saw the familiar yard lights of my homestead. Thankfully my papa was away for work for several more nights, so I did not have to worry about explaining to him why I had brought an an injured wolf home. I was exhausted, but my task was not complete yet.

I heard the sharp barking of the dogs as we approached the barn. Thankfully they were in their kennel, so they would not bother us.

I carefully led Tobin into the spacious barn that had served as a home for countless animals over the years. Utter silence pervaded the air as I backed the stretcher into an empty stall. Tobin listened to my cues perfectly. I unattached the stretcher from Tobin and swiftly untacked my beautiful mule. His pale white coat was damp with sweat. I released him into his stall, I would come back to care for him after I had attended to the wolf's injury.

I walked back to the injured wolf that lay in a tranquil corner of the stall. I carefully untied my knots and removed the blanket. A blood stain now soaked the woolen grey fabric. I gently rolled the wolf off the stretcher and dragged the stretcher from the stall. I pushed on the heavy beast so it was laying on his stomach. All I received from the wolf was a twitch of a large ear. I then ran to the tack room and retrieved the medical supplies I was going to need.

My first task was to assess the damage of the bullet. I used a flashlight to see if the bullet was still inside. The hole was clean through both sides of the wolf. I didn't know if I would be able to save the wolf's life, but I was going to try my best.

I gently cleansed the wolf's wounds. I soaked a clean cloth in warm antiseptic water and applied it carefully to his chocolate brown fur, being mindful not to aggravate the bullet wounds on both sides of the abdomen further. I winced at the thought of the pain the wolf must have endured, but now it was within my power to offer comfort and healing.

Next, I plunged a needle full of penicillin into the wolf's side. We used penicillin often on the homestead for our other farm animals when they injured themselves, it was a decent all-around antibiotic that would fend off infection. I then filled a syringe with a dosage of liquid bute; the best liquid painkiller for farm animals. 

I carefully slid the maw of the large wolf open slightly before plunging the liquid to the back of the throat. I was weary of the large white canines that glistened back at me. The wolf's eyes opened and glared at me briefly before I heard a loud audible gulp. I waited a few minutes for the painkiller to work its magic. I wanted the pain to be as dull as possible before I attempted suturing. Within a few minutes I heard the change in breathing, so I knew the wolf was now asleep. I then threaded my needle and went to work suturing the damaged tissue on both sides. I knew this would help lessen the chance of infection the most.

I was exhausted by the time I was done. I sat back and observed my work. The bleeding had stopped thanks to my sutures and the wounds were now nicely closed. My only fear was the internal damage that occurred due to the bullet, but with my knowledge of hunting and based on the entry and exit wounds of the bullet I think the wolf had a small chance at recovery.

I gently stood and placed my blanket back over the wolf. I should have been alarmed at the sight of a massive wolf sleeping soundly in my barn with a blanket wrapped around it, but something about this moment felt like fate, like I was meant to do this. I did not know what the morning was going to bring when the beast awoke, but he seemed familiar with the presence of humans. Probably how he ended up with a bullet going through him.

I carefully closed the stall door and returned to Tobin. He was standing and sleeping in the corner of his stall. He did not move as I brushed him down thoroughly. The sweat had dried to his beautiful coat. I would hose him down tomorrow. For now a good brushing would have to suffice. I made sure he had a bundle of hay to chew on and fresh water in his bucket. Once I was satisfied I returned to the wolf's stall one more time to check on him. He was slumbering away in the corner. He had not moved. His sides rose and fell in a lulled sleep. I was content with my work.

I carefully laid down on some haybales that were in the loft and with a couple more wool blankets and I fell fast asleep. I was utterly and completely exhausted.

I was awoken suddenly to the rooster crowing loudly. I knew dawn had arrived. The morning rays streamed through the barn windows. I sat up abruptly, the day before crashing down on me like a mental tidal wave of images, smells, and feelings.

The wolf.

I raced over down the loft ladder and to the stall and peered quietly in through the rails. My jaw fell wide open. Instead of a large chocolate brown wolf, I was now staring into the piercing grey eyes of a very, large and very naked man. He was propped up against the back wall with the blanket wrapped around his hulking shoulders. A shit-eating grin fell across the man's face. It was a face I recognized from town. My eyes widened. What the hell was happening to my life?

Comment and vote if you liked.

- deer66