Chapter 2

Summary: Baiyang and Lu Xia train. Zhuo Zhi and Siyang have a chat.

---

Two weeks have passed since that one war meeting. Lu Xia is heading down to the training arena, accompanied by Baiyang. 

They choose their blunted training swords and prepare. Lu Xia starts by slowly circling around Baiyang before flinging himself forward with astonishing speed, swiping his sword down. Baiyang counters the attack, pushing Lu Xia's sword back swiftly. Lu Xia stabs at Baiyang's stomach, and the latter blocks it, a little late.

"Give up?" Lu Xia grins, counterattacking Baiyang's aim for the shoulder.

"Never!" Baiyang growls. 

Lu Xia bares his teeth and swings his sword back for another hit. I must win! This time, Baiyang sidesteps instead of blocking it and attempts a sneak attack from the side. Lu Xia anticipates it, but moves slightly too slow, giving Baiyang the opportunity to hook his leg around Lu Xia's and to use his sword to push Lu Xia down.

Baiyang points the blunted blade at Lu Xia's throat, sweat beading at his forehead. Then he reaches a hand out, which Lu Xia takes gratefully. 

"You're getting better," Baiyang says gruffly. "But not good enough. Dip the blades in poison or lace them with potion, and even if you nick their arm, it will bring them down."

Lu Xia blinks, surprised at this bit of advice. Then he nods, grabbing a towel to dry himself off and to clean the blade. 

***

Siyang leafs through the calculations Zhiming has made, brow furrowed in concentration. Zhuo Zhi absentmindedly plays with a knife beside him, humming under his breath. Siyang finally looks at him, putting down his papers.

"If you have nothing better to do, go train," he says, although there's no bite to his tone. They both know that Zhuo Zhi has superb blade skills, perhaps only inferior to Siyang.

"I'm here to make sure you don't overwork," Zhuo Zhi says, nodding in the direction of the kitchens. "And to make sure you actually eat. Xinglong obligates you eat at least once a day. After all, it's good food wasted, no? Even Qiao Chen can't eat that much." That last bit makes Siyang laugh gently, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Zhuo Zhi tilts his head at the papers. He catches sight of a few numbers, marked with neat notes in Siyang and Zhiming's handwriting. 

"'12 percent chance of success'. '16 percent chance of success.' '17 percent chance of success,'" Zhuo Zhi reads. He looks up in disbelief. "Siyang, you can't seriously be considering these plans. The highest percent of success is twenty-four!"

Siyang chooses not to answer, instead pressing the tips of his long fingers together and closing his eyes.

"Siyang, will you really risk our citizens' lives on twenty-four percent?"

"It's a twenty-four percent chance of success," Siyang says tiredly, opening his eyes.

"And it's a seventy-six percent chance of failure," Zhuo Zhi counters sharply. Siyang sighs, his breath coming out of him in one long reel.

"I have to do this. And no, it won't be Dachi or Baiyang or you who's going out in the field," Siyang raises a hand to stop Zhuo Zhi, "I have to do this myself."

"Siyang, if you die . . ." Zhuo Zhi looks away

Siyang meets Zhuo Zhi's gaze with steely determination. "If I die, Dachi will take my place. He is capable. I'm only one king in Yu Qing's long history. Yu Qing will and can move on without me."

Zhuo Zhi looks down. "I can't say I agree with you," he grits out, "but do what you must."

---

We did it! One more chapter! A bit short, but some of the content will be important later on. Okay, I couldn't find a way to add Perfect Pair content, but I promise you, it's coming up! And guess what- it didn't get re-written! Yay! Hope you enjoyed; feel free to vote on it :)

~ Willow