Chapter Nine ~ Blossoming

NEOPTOLEMUS' POV

A month had passed by since my parents agreed on how I would spend equal time with them. Things were pretty much the same, except that my father and Patroclus were now trying to find new hobbies. I totally understand how boring can it be to be dead for many years, let alone being dead for the rest of eternity, so I suggested things they should try. The only thing that took me by surprice is that they decided on doing different things seperately. One day, my father left to meet some fellow warriors, so I stayed home with Patroclus. I was tired from walking around the whole morning, so I told him I would be going back to rest. He was okay with it, as long as I helped with the cooking later. A few minutes after I layed on bed, I heard our door being opened and Patroclus talking quietly. 

 - His son is sleeping, we don't have anything to worry about, he said.

- I don't like it when we meet here, a woman said.

- It will only be for a little while, Patroclus said, at least until we figure out something better.

- What if Achilles finds out? What will you tell him?

- There's no reason to worry about that, no one knows and no one will find out.

I had crawled next to my door and that was the moment I cracked the door open. They didn't seem to notice, so that's when I spoke.

- Well, no one will find out what, Patroclus?

Patroclus looked at me like I had two heads. The woman besides him turned her face away, so that I will not notice her.

- I'm definately sure that my father would love to know you two are seing eachother behind his back, I said. As for you, Briseis, stop hiding your face. And you, Patroclus, explain yourself.

- It's not what it looks like, Patroclus said.

- Sure, I said sarcastically. Then what is this? Are you deceiving my father in his own home after all the things you've both been through?

- For Zeus's sake, he said, I would never do something like that to your father, you out of all people should know how deeply I love him. It's just that Briseis had some trouble recently with some people we both used to know and she asked me to shelter her for a little while, but asked me not to tell your father because she thought he hasn't forgot what she tried to do to you, even though I tried to assure her he would be more than welcome to help her.

- Is that the truth, Briseis?

- Yes, she said. An old warrior tried to keep me hostage because I had some kind of debt that I didn't pay to him. He wanted to do inapropriate things with me, just because I asked him to help me carry my things. I didn't want to get harmed by him,  I thing he's trying to track me down, your father and Patroclus are the only people I know here and have helped me before, so I didn't know where else to go.

- You could have told me at least, I told Patroclus. I thought you were considering me family.

- Of course I do, he said, but this was a serious matter and I wanted to protect you and your father. Can you please don't tell him anything yet? The less he knows, the better for all of us. I promise we will all tell him when the time is right.

- Fine, I said, as long as you are telling the truth, Briseis.

- I have no reason to lie, she said. Now I shall go, being here could be dangerous for me.

After she left, me and Patroclus sat down to talk. He explained the situation more and that made me understand how serious the matter was. I Promised to not tell my father anything until it's safe to do so and Patroclus hugged me to thank me. I hugged him too, but for some odd reason it felt completely different from all the other times, as it was something that hasn't happened before. I sat and thought about it in my room. Why did it feel different? Does it mean something about us? Is our relationship changing? I had too many thoughts on my head and I didn't feel so well. I layed down and slept, still confused on what had just happened and why were my thoughts too complicated.