The pocket watch I pull out of the inventory and study

Time keeping Piece, Quality: Good, Type: Chronometer

A hand-held device using gears and kinetic motion to keep time. Must be wound or it will stop working.

Perception Check Failed

I wind the knob on top, and it ticks quietly. It's brass, I think, mostly polished, with no markings or inscriptions. Even the glass front is unmarred. The worn spots are where I'm holding it, speaking of it being held often.

"You cared about this, didn't you, Aaron?" I set it aside. I don't need it, with Base keeping time, but if I have space, I want to bring it and return it to his family.

The binoculars are a no brainer, as is the metal container of thin oil, the rag that smells the same and the roll of tools. Those are to take care of the armor. I'm going to need to learn how to maintain it. Same with the whetstone; for the sword and knife. Unless the sword's enchantment keeps it sharp. The ruined clothing stays there along with the water skins; those are made of leather and I don't want to know what the water in them has turned into.

The pulleys are... seven of them means.... I look at the skeleton. "What are you doing with all of those?" Someone can make use of them if I have space.

The last item is a metal stick shaped to fit well in my fingers and with a point that makes me think of a pencil. The tip doesn't leave a mark on my finger, but it's dry. It looks nothing like Grandpa Louis's fountain pen, but he and Dad have talked about how, back before the system, people could get pens that already had ink in them, but they couldn't be refilled. This could be that, and it ran out.

One way to be sure. I focus on it.

Writing Stylus, Quality: Excellent, Type: Writing Implement

A stylus made of a metal that leaves marks on paper

Perception Check Failed

I didn't know metal could be used to write with.

I do a count, that's sixteen items.

If I don't want the extra hides, I don't have to worry about leaving anything behind. That can be used by someone back home. I'm keeping the firestarter. The rope? I don't need it to leave anymore, but we can also use that.grappling hooks? Pitons? The bedroll? I can carry that one to use tonight and leave it here.

The bedroll it is.

And of course, I was so focussed on the pouch; I forgot I have a slot left in my own inventory. I could free two in the pouch by putting the hides there, but it's not like I need more space right now.

At least now I don't have to leave the bedroll behind.

I look at the skeleton as I stand. "I'm going to send someone to bury you when I get home." There were things people did for the dead before the system, along with burying them. Some people say there used to be a god, and that's why they had to perform the ceremonies. A few of them claim he's still around. There's the occasional argument by the bars when some force them to explain how that works with the system around.

Grandpa Louis never believed in that, and Dad... Dad says that if there was a god, Mom would still be alive. I miss her, but the only 'higher power' I know of is the system. And I know better than think it cares about us one way or another.

"That's for... everything, I guess." I go to the stairs and pause. Nothing in my inventory adds weight, but the armor and sword? The stairs don't look any sturdier from down here, but the wall next to them is nice and flat.