04

VIENNA - THE UNITED NATIONS

A news anchor spoke. "At a special United Nations conference, 117 countries have come together to ratify the Sokovia Accords."

T'Challa, wearing a sharp suit, stood and looked through a glass wall.

"Excuse me, Miss Romanoff? Mr. Bailey?" a UN staffer called.

"Yes?" Natasha asked, tapping Chris's shoulder.

"These need your signature." T'Challa looked over at Natasha. "Thank you."

"Thanks."

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight," T'Challa said.

"Oh, well, it's not always so flattering."

"You seem to be doing all right so far. Concerning your last trip to Capitol Hill... I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company."

"Well, I'm not. Nor is he."

"That alone makes me glad you and Mr. Bailey are here, Miss Romanoff."

"Why? You don't approve of all this?"

"The Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred."

"Unless you need to move a piano," King T'Chaka joked.

"Father."

"Son. Miss Romanoff. Mr. Bailey."

"King T'Chaka," Natasha said. "Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria."

"Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

"Yes, so am I."

"If everyone could please be seated," a man on the speakers said. "This assembly is now in session."

"That is the future calling," T'Challa commented. "Such a pleasure."

"Thank you," Natasha said again before leaving.

As they walked away, Chris signed to Natasha, 'You know I don't agree with the Accords, right?'

Natasha nodded. 'I know.'

'And that's okay with you?'

'Yeah, it is. Come on.'

"For a man who disapproves of diplomacy, you're getting quite good at it," King T'Chaka told his son.

"I'm happy, Father," T'Challa replied.

"Thank you."

"Thank you."

King T'Chaka addressed the crowd. "When stolen Wakandan Vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Nigeria, were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we would wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative." T'Challa spotted something outside. "Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace."

"Everybody get down!" T'Challa yelled.

An enormous explosion went off between two buildings and destroyed the conference hall. T'Challa found his father lying on the floor with his eyes closed. He grabbed his father's wrist and felt for a pulse, but his father laid still. Devastated, T'Challa laid across his father. He lifted him up and rocked him in his arms.

Chris, who was protecting Natasha with his body, asked, 'You okay?'

She nodded. 'I think so.'