XVI

As you walked along the bustling streets of Shibuya, you found yourself surrounded by blue and red neon signs, colorful storefronts, and the constant murmur of people. You didn't have classes until the afternoon, so you had taken the morning off. You'd stroll around downtown for a while, run some errands, and hopefully clear your mind a bit.

Ever since your conversation with Suguru two days ago, you'd been pretty distracted. If you hadn't been, you might have noticed sooner that you were being followed.

You had two weeks to make a decision. When you got to your room that night, you carefully folded the note Suguru had given you and hid it between the nightstand and the wall, where nobody (especially Gojo) would accidentally find it. Every night, before going to sleep, you'd look at the address written in Suguru's handwriting and engage in an internal debate about whether you should attend the meeting. You hadn't found an answer yet.

You wanted to go, that much was certain. If there was one thing you knew, it was that you couldn't say no to your friend. You wanted to see him in two weeks, and then you'd want to see him again, and again, and again. You needed Suguru's company in your life, and you craved it so much that you were almost willing to ignore all the reasons screaming at you not to. Almost.

Geto was a murderer, a traitor who wanted to pull you away from all your friends and family. Even though he was sweet and protective of you, you had to remind yourself that he was no longer the reliable boy who had been your friend but a very different person. He was the leader of a cult, for god's sake.

Yet none of these reasons could silence the voice telling you that yes, you should do it. You should go see him and make up for a lost time, and return time and time again whenever he asked you to. You wanted it, and if it was a feeling that came from within you, could it really be so wrong?

You stopped in front of a jewelry store on the corner of a quieter street and fogged up the display window with a sigh. The bluish gleam of a pair of sapphire earrings reminded you of the other, much more imminent problem.

Gojo would be back in a few hours, and you had to hide what had happened from him. You had promised Geto you would, but you wouldn't have told him anyway.

Unlike you, Gojo had the obligation to execute your friend. He was the only one strong enough to enforce the sentence Geto deserved for his crimes, and any information about Geto would be used to carry it out. You didn't want to be the one to put Gojo in that situation. Or, more accurately, you didn't want the execution to happen at all.

Something caught your attention. You saw the reflection of a pair of eyes in the storefront window and quickly turned to face the man who had been silently watching you from behind.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you, sweetheart," he said, approaching with a hand extended towards you, holding something. "You dropped this a few blocks back, but I couldn't catch up to you."

You stifled a gasp of surprise when you saw that what the man held was your school ID.
How had you been so careless as to lose something so important? It had all your information on it, even your residence address.
You looked at the man suspiciously, but he wasn't paying attention to the ID itself. He was only waiting for you to take it with a smile on his face, and he seemed quite kind.

"Thank you so much," you said, bowing slightly.

You reached out to take the ID, but before you could securely grab it, the man let go and the plastic card went flying, carried by the wind.

"Oh, no!" the man exclaimed, watching as it was swept away by the wind down the street behind the jewelry store. "I'll get it!"

"It's okay," you tried to warn him, running towards the alley as well. "Really, I can—"