III

You arrived at the location Gojo had sent you around nine in the morning, carrying your bow on your back. It turned out to be a children's playground, surrounded by tall vegetation that prevented a good view of the interior.

Just setting foot on that street made you feel suddenly sick from the amount of cursed energy the place gave off. That couldn't be a minor class curse. The organization had once again underestimated a mission, they were a little too prone to making those kinds of mistakes.

At the entrance of the park, you found the worst. There were traces of blood as if a body had been dragged across the sand in the play area, though you didn't see anyone.

You took your phone out of the back pocket of your pants and put it to your ear, waiting for the answer on the other end of the line.

"Hello?" The voice of a nervous man answered.

"Ijichi, I'm in Shinjuku and it's looking really bad." You said hastily.

"Wasn't Goj-?" The man on the phone began.

"I went instead." You answered before he finished the question. "I feel the energy of a high-rank curse, send someone when you can. Someone is injured."

You cut off the call without waiting for his response and began to conjure the veil over the area. It had barely touched the ground when you heard a noise behind you, in the distance.

You turned sharply, nocking an arrow to your bow and instinctively aiming for the source of the noise.

Your blood ran cold.

There were two children no more than 6 years old, alive. They hugged each other in the corner farthest from you, tears falling down their cheeks but their eyes empty, unmoving. With a sigh and the pulse beating hard in your temple, you lowered the arrow to the ground so as not to scare them any further.

But in that millisecond, a curse materialized behind them. It walked on two legs, white as snow, and its eyes were bloodshot. The curse raised his arm with long, sharp claws menacingly.

With a growl of rage, you imbued the arrow with cursed energy, giving off a bluish glow, and fired it with the precision of a scalpel toward the shoulder of the curse. But it was too late.

The curse clawed its way through one of the children's chests, through its heart, and the infant's body fell facedown in the sand with the expression of terror immortalized on its face.

Too late, your arrow pierced the limb of the curse, being ripped apart by the force of your cursed energy, and pulled away with a wail. Seizing the moment, you sprinted towards the other boy and shouldered him, running in the opposite direction of the curse.

"My mom and my brother..." Sobbed the boy, behind your back.

"Was your mom here too?" you asked panting, thinking about the traces of blood that were all around the floor.

Instead of responding, the little boy burst into uncontrollable sobs. You frowned and tried to distance yourself from his emotions. There was a problem to solve first: with the child on your shoulder you couldn't use your bow.

Reaching the opposite corner of the park, you lowered the boy to the ground. You looked at him carefully, and you grabbed his hand firmly to try to comfort him a little.

"Listen carefully." You murmured trying to find the most comforting tone. "I have to finish off the bad guy in this park. You have to run away and hide. Okay?"

The boy was slow to react but finally nodded. You shook his hand hard.

"Run there and hide in the trees, don't go out under any circumstances until I come for you." You said pointing towards the vegetation.