14: the playful reader

Original Chapters (Manhwa): 57~59
14: the playful reader

.

.

Their height difference-

.

.

.

.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Haa, you know me, aren't I the strongest?"

"I know, it's just, I think I shouldn't have been so curious back then."

"Why not? Being curious is a sign that you're hungry for knowledge."

"But not when you're sacrificing so much!"

The smile on his lips stiffened when she glared at him through teary eyes.

"We could have just searched for a book, even if we didn't find any, instead of you sacrificing so many things! It's my fault for being so curious. It's my fault why you're suffering. It's my fault why you're losing so much when you could have lost nothing in the first place!"

"Didn't we talk about this," he placed a hand on each of her shoulders. "When I agreed to be your family, I told you that I'll do anything within my power to spoil you. And your curiosity was something I can satiate. My sister, my precious darling little sister, when I became your brother, I've already decided to give you everything. Even if I lose everything, that's alright. I've lived long enough anyway."

"You-!" She punched him right in the chest but he barely budged. "... I still don't know why you agreed to be my family. I was just joking with you back then but you took it so seriously. I've never asked, and I never had the intention to, but... who are you, really? Why are you willing to do so much for a sister you only knew for five years at the time?"

He paused at her words, and when she thought he wouldn't answer just like he always have, his pure smile stunned her.

"I've been lonely for many, many years. I had friends, made many in my lifetime, but they left me one by one until I was all alone again. When that time came, I told myself that I would never make friends again because losing them was like losing a piece of my heart. Then, you appeared. You barged into my cottage, stealing what little food I had left, but I caught you.

"You were so small that you didn't look like a ten-year-old at all. You were such a feisty little thing, even now. You arrived when my heart was ready to close off from the world. It sounds cheesy, maybe a bit cringey, but when you appeared, I thought you were a gift for me. I've been so alone that I thought disappearing was better than spending the rest of my life withering away.

"My darling little sister, I love you so much for giving me joy. If you can be happy, I'll do whatever it takes for that to happen. It doesn't matter if I forget you. You'll come running in to whack me on the head to make me remember, noh?"