Chapter One

"The home is on an expansive, secluded .52 acre lot! There are no square rooms. As you can see, the main floor of the home features an inviting foyer, an open living/dining concept with a corner gas log fireplace, French doors, laminate flooring, and a fully equipped galley kitchen with granite countertops. There's also a comfortable bedroom, a full hall tiled bath, and a large tiled laundry/mudroom," the woman, Ella, explains to me as we tour the house.

"Wow," I say softly.

"If you follow me as we travel up the captivating spiral staircase, you'll see an exquisite bright and airy master loft with soaring cathedral ceilings, three skylights, and a stunning private tiled bath with a double vanity and tiled walk-in shower. The property also features three separate decks, a 3+ car attached garage, and TONS of recent updates," she finishes.

Ella's been helping me throughout the process of buying my first home.

"This place is amazing. The color especially. You don't see too many black and white houses. What was the price again?" I ask.

"The sellers are asking $119,000. You won't find a deal like this just anywhere. Not to mention the uniqueness of this property," she tells me.

"Why so cheap?" I ask her curiously. "This is a nice place. You'd think it would go for much more," I add.

"It's listed at that price because the current owners are anxious to sell. They are moving to another state and simply want to sell as fast as possible so that they can put the money towards their new home," she explains with a kind smile.

"I see. I'll take it," I tell her.

"Excellent. Shall we meet tomorrow to finalize the sale?" she asks.

I nod in agreement, and we leave the house. I walk over to my car and climb in. Once I start it up, I pull away from the curb. I make my way back to my apartment. I'm so glad I found a place. My lease is up in a week.

Since I'm now a rather successful writer, I decided it was time to buy a house. I've been saving for a couple of years now. I also still have most of the money left to me by my parents.

A few years ago, when I first decided to publish my book, I never in a million years thought it would become so popular. Even after buying this house, I'll still be pretty well off. I'm almost finished with my second book as well.

My life is looking up. I've now got everything I've ever wanted.

Well, almost everything. I'm still single. Not that I need to have a partner, but it would be nice. Plus, I want a family of my own someday. I have time. Although, I am 28 years old.

I'll admit it will be hard for me to find someone when I rarely go out. That and there's the matter of having a huge crush on one of my friends. I'll never do anything about it because I don't want to lose his friendship. It's quite annoying that I can't just turn my feelings for him off. I mean, he's amazing and everything I want in a partner, but it would never happen. My stupid heart doesn't seem to grasp that, though.

I let out a sigh as I pull up to my apartment building. I park my car and get out. After locking my doors, I head over to my apartment. I'm on the second floor.

As I unlock my door, I hear the one behind me open and close.

"Oh. Hey Virgil," a familiar voice says.

"Hey, Roman," I say as I turn to look at him.

Roman Adams. My heart beats a bit faster. He's beautiful as always.

"How'd it go?" he asks me.

"Great. I decided on the house I went to see today. It's perfect," I tell him.