twenty

| Z+2 — THE SCHOOL'S AUDITORIUM |

Lee Soojin didn't know how long she had stayed awake until she saw the sunrise peek through the windows.

The memories of last night kept replaying in her head, reminding her of the burden she had to carry.

Maybe Cheongsan was right after all. Maybe Nayeon and Mom died because of me.

She looked around the room, counting every one of her classmates who remained. Tears burned in her eyes as she noticed the missing ones, wondering if that was her fault as well.

The girl whose parents were no more; Kim Jimin. The nice senior on the archery team who always gave her chocolates was Jung Minjae.

The girl who wanted to live so bad; Seo Hyoryung. The guy who she'd always see by the cafeteria; Yoo Joonsung.

They aren't in this room with us, and maybe that's also my fault.

Soojin couldn't even feel the tears run down her face until she felt someone wipe them away. Her gaze shifted towards Onjo, looking away when she saw the sympathetic look in her eyes.

"Didn't get any sleep?" Onjo asked, even though she already knew the answer. "Jinnie, you know it's not–"

"I thought about it all night, you know? If Cheongsan was right. And I realised maybe he is."

Onjo sighed, shaking her head. "You know that's not true. You couldn't control anything that happened. Heck, you aren't God, Jinnie. It's not your fault," she explained.

"Hyoryung. Jimin," Soojin continued, not listening to the younger. "I'm the reason they aren't here, right? I'm just a murderer, like he said."

"Listen to me, idiot!" Onjo grabbed the elder's face, maintaining eye contact. "Nothing is your fault. Fuck what Cheongsan says; he's an asshole."

Soojin cracked the slightest of smiles at her words. "You should go talk to him. I know you are sticking with me because you don't wanna face him," she stated.

Onjo bit her lip, narrowing her gaze. "You spent the entire night thinking a lot, huh?" She grumbled lowly.

"Go on, now. He needs you by his side more than I do."

"I can't believe you are still caring for him after everything that happened."

Soojin noted the way she winced, regretting her choice of words. The elder only smiled, letting Onjo know it was okay to mention what happened.

She couldn't run away from the fact that her brother slapped her. It was something that happened in the heat of the moment, and she didn't hate him for it at all.

Sure, it hurt every time she thought about it, but Soojin knew she deserved what came her way — she just hadn't expected it.

Just as Soojin ushered Onjo to leave, Junghwan took the empty spot beside his girlfriend, giving her a bright smile.

"Hey," he greeted, his voice soft. "How are you feeling now, hm?"

The brunette only nodded in reply, not trusting herself enough to speak without breaking down for the nth time.

"Once Cheongsan feels better, I'm breaking his nose," Junghwan commented suddenly, taking her by surprise. "Your cheek has swollen so much. Fuck him."

A tired chuckle escaped her lips, a genuine smile on her face as she looked at her boyfriend, thanking him quietly.

"Thank you, Hwan-ah," she mumbled, leaning against his shoulder. "I love you."

So Junghwan felt his heart skip multiple beats, stilling in his place. He knew he didn't mishear her, but somehow, he still couldn't believe his ears.