The students were overwhelmed, not knowing why their rescue was suddenly cancelled.

Everyone, except for the ones who knew the reason, was near tears, begging the soldiers to save them — to take them some place safe.

"Why? What's wrong? Why is she coming down?"

"What do you mean, it's canceled?"

"Why won't you take us with you? Ahjussi!"

They were in utter panic; all the hope they had gathered stripped away in a millisecond. They trusted the first responders to save them, but things had changed now.

What are you waiting for? Open fire. Do you not hear me? This is an order. Open fire!

Lee Soojin and Choi Namra felt chills down their spines at the stern order, quickly pulling their friends back.

So Junghwan and Lee Suhyeok followed their girlfriends, realizing something was wrong upon seeing the terror in their eyes.

"Oppa, don't." Soojin pulled on her brother's arm. "They'll shoot us. Don't approach them."

"Wujin. Daesu." Namra tugged at her classmates. "Just listen to them and back off."

The teenagers managed to get their friends away, watching as the soldiers got pulled into the chopper — their only chance at getting to safety.

Hyoryung sobbed. "They abandoned us, right? No one will come to save us now, right?" She cried, wiping away her tears.

"Shit." Gyeongsu cursed. "Why would they do that?"

"Maybe they fucking thought we were zombies," Wujin responded to the question.

Joonyeong shook his head. "Then they would've killed us," he clarified. "They wouldn't have left without killing us," he said.

"They could've," Nayeon mumbled, looking at her feet. "They hesitated, but they could've killed us."

Namra spoke, telling the others the actual reason they were left behind. Someone from our school didn't show symptoms and got into the camp, and killed over four people. The students felt hopeless, not knowing from whom to ask for help now.

Lee Cheongsan let out a frustrated groan, kicking away the signs they made for help. Onjo held the elder by his arm, stopping him from getting hurt as he trampled over the burning embers.

"What are you doing?" She pulled him away, making him still. "Stop it, Cheongsan."

The brunet fisted his hands. "It's useless. No one's coming. No one is coming now," he muttered, feeling hopeless.

He was right; if the Special Forces soldiers couldn't help them, then there was nobody else that would.

| Z+1 — THE SCHOOL'S ROOFTOP |

The students scattered around the rooftop, waiting for what seemed like their probable deaths, considering no one would help them.

Lee Soojin watched as Namra winced before covering her ears, wondering what was wrong with her. She trained her ears to try to hear what she was hearing, startled by the crackle of thunder she heard.

This was a new skill Soojin found out she had; blocking out the zombification of her senses.

Instead of dealing with the heightened senses, Soojin found herself 'turning them on and off' as she pleased, not really knowing how it worked.

She noticed how her side effects weren't as strong as they were before, as if they were slowly disappearing.

She didn't know what exactly went on with her, but she knew she wasn't affected like the other hambies.

Drop after drop, the students looked at the sky as the rain fell, cheers going around the rooftop in unison.

"Hey, it's raining!"

"It's so refreshing!"

"It's fucking raining!"

She watched as her friends cried while the rain fell down their faces, not having the energy to feel the emotions they did.

Soojin was sick and tired of being able to do nothing but cry.

Cheongsan approached his sister. "Soo-ya, if we move every time there's thunder, maybe the zombies won't hear us," he explained his theory. "No one is coming to rescue us," he added.

"It is better to die trying to get out than die waiting like sitting ducks," Soojin mumbled, not really seeing another way out for them.

If no one was coming for them, then they should be the ones to save themselves.