Chapter 21//Troye

Start from the beginning

"Happy birthday, Tro." Connor says and throws his arms around my shoulders, I stiffen for a moment then relax remembering that it's just Connor. Even if you are going to distance yourself from him slightly you still need to be comfortable around him. He's going to pick up on your mood and wonder what is going on with me. I pull him against me and kiss his cheek which makes his face turn a bright shade of red. How much cuter can this green eyed man get?

"Thanks." I say not really knowing how else I should reply. He smiles then pulls me off the couch so that we can go to the kitchen and make breakfast. Well, mostly he makes the breakfast. He makes an extravagant meal that I thoroughly enjoy. I give him a short kiss on the lips when we are done cleaning up the mess that he made and we go back into the living room. Connor's phone buzzes on the pocket of his sweats and he pulls it out to read a text. His face turns to worry and I look at him with concern as I wait to see what's happened.

"Ricky just text me to tell me that Trevor is having a nervous breakdown. He asked me to come to his place asap." I know that I'm not going to be able to stop him from going to see his friend, when his friends needs him so I just nod. I know the dangers of him going alone but I don't want to go with him because that would be awkward. I love him, but I think I need to give him a little space right now. Connor heads out of the room and I lie down on the couch trying to think of anything that I could do while I wait for him to get home. Maybe after he gets home we could spend the day at the lake, he loved it there. I catch Connor on his way out the door so that I can tell him where I'm going.

"Do you remember how to get to the lake?" I ask him and he nods his head. "I'm going to go out there in a little while so just meet me out there when you come home, okay?" A smile creeps onto his face and he leans over to give me a kiss but I turn my head so his lips catch my cheek.

"Okay." He mutters sounding disappointed as he walks out of the door and over to his car. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. He just got upset over me rejecting a kiss from him, how in the world am I going to reject his touch even further. You'll do it because you know that in the long run it's better for both of you. If you wait until he tells you that he loves you, you won't misinterpret things or get yourself or him hurt. Ugh what the fuck am I even doing?

I walk up to our bedroom so that I can change into swim trunks and a tank top before grabbing a tote bag and putting a blanket and two towels in it. I walk all the way to the lake trying to clear my head of all the bad things that are a seemingly constant in my life at the moment. If only my life was simple, but my life has never been simple since the day I turned thirteen. I should't dwell on what could be when I could be trying to solve the problems at hand no matter how much I dislike thinking about those.

I make it to the lake and I sit down on the edge of the shoreline remembering the day that I brought Connor here. That seems like it was such a long time ago, so much has happened since that wonderful night. That's probably my favorite memory with him, everything about that night was just amazing. From the way he talked to me, to how comfortable he started to be around me, everything was perfect for that one night. I lie on my back soaking up the sun for a few hours before I hear footsteps and open my eyes to see Connor making his way towards me in swimming shorts and a muscle tee with a bag on his arm.

"Hello, birthday boy." Connor says sitting beside me on the blanket, he sets down the bag on his arm and starts pulling things out.

"Hey." He smiles as he looks over at me then he hands me something wrapped in white paper. I immediately recognize the paper that they wrap sandwiches in at our favorite cafe. He hands me a water bottle next then he pulls out a little gift basket.

"These are from Kennedy and the staff. She literally wouldn't let me pay when I said that it was your birthday." I set the sandwich aside to look at the contents of the basket. I see some of my favorite baked good, personalized M&M's, a nice watch, a few gift cards to various places and two pieces of jewelry, necklaces, one just has a 'T' charm and the other just a 'C' charm. I shove those back into the basket before Connor can see them and smile. This is so nice of them, it's cool that they care enough to but together a gift basket for my birthday. Connor and I eat our sandwiches in quiet then we lie down and soak up the sun. We say a few things to each other but for the most part it's quiet, I think eventually Connor gets tired of the silence so he plays some music. We sing way to loud and we have fun, eventually we end up in the water. It's not quite as fun as the last time, we have a few races all of which he wins and we have a splash war which I win. I don't touch him quite as much as I usually would and I think he's noticed but he won't say anything about it. He doesn't try to kiss me after the time I pretend to slip on a rock and fall backwards into the water.