Chapter 3- I Got Lost Twice

Magsimula sa umpisa

Everyone is sitting on the couch in the second-floor living room. The couch I thought was the biggest I'd ever seen is now being swallowed up by seven giants making it look tiny. Colt sat on a chair facing the couch while just staring at me. Like really staring like he's trying to burn a hole in my face. Two can play that game because I love a good staring contest. I started staring just as aggressively as he was, I'm extremely stubborn and a bit competitive so I'm not against putting up a fight.

Third Person POV:

The rest of the room sat waiting for the two, who apparently are alike not only in appearance but also stubbornness. After a few minutes, Colt finally started the conversation, while Charlie wore a slight smirk from not cracking under his stare.
"Charlotte this is our family's ranch which means that now that you are a part of this family you will start contributing to the ranch like the rest of us do. In a few days, we'll add your name to the chores list that's in the Mudroom and every day you will complete the tasks assigned to you. Also being said it's a very large working ranch with several other people and lots of moving parts, including tractors and other dangerous equipment not to mention thousands of large animals. If myself, one of your brothers, or even one of the ranch hands tells you to do something or not to do something you listen to them the first time no arguments."
Everyone in the room could see Charlie was not happy about the second half of Colt's statement but he continued.
"While we have housekeepers and they will deep clean your room once a week and do the laundry, you are responsible for keeping your room clean. That includes making your bed, keeping your floor clean, putting away your clean laundry, hanging wet towels, and keeping your bathroom presentable. I will give you three warnings and after that, you will be punished."
" A rule you've already broken more than once today is that there is no swearing. Just like the other rules they don't just apply to you the twins have to follow them too. If you are caught swearing you'll get your mouth washed out with soap." That got quite the look in response on Charlie's face and a not-so-quiet grunt of disagreement.
"This next rule is the most important, being respectful. Which means no eye-rolling, talking back, or mumbling. That's why we make you answer verbally with 'Yes sir'. The verbal answer shows us you understand and are paying attention while the 'sir' shows respect. In this family, as a sign of respect, we also don't lie to each other. We also always use our manners. No exceptions."
By now Charlie was losing her ability to keep quiet but she was hoping if she didn't respond even though she wanted to she could leave this room faster.
"Due to your age, there will be no dating, no smoking, no drugs, and no alcohol."
Charlie couldn't hold back anymore "First off I'm ten so why would I do those things in the first place and secondly my mother just died of alcohol poisoning why in hell would I drink!" She finished almost shouting.
Some of the brothers forgot that's how her mother died and they probably could have skipped that rule but it was too late now. Some showing remorseful faces but not Colt. "Charlotte, watch your language. I already told you our rule." The room sat in a tense silence while Charlie's nostrils continued to flare.
"Continuing on Ranch life starts early so breakfast is served from 5-6:30, lunch is from 12-1, and dinner is served at 6. If you miss breakfast or lunch you are free to find your own food but are responsible for cleaning up after yourself which includes your dishes. You may not miss dinner or be late. We eat at the same time every night so it shouldn't be hard to remember. Not to mention the dinner bell is a great reminder." Colt knew these next few would probably get a reaction from his sister. He was just hoping we could all make it through tonight without having to punish her. "Charlotte, your bedtime on school nights is in your room by 9 and lights out by 9:15. That includes not using your phone on other electronics. Your bedtime is an hour later on the weekends." Charlie sat up, they had her attention now. "Why would I need to go to bed so early? I never have before." Colt was struggling to keep his voice calm. "Charlotte just because you didn't before doesn't change how things are going to be now. You leave the house for school at 7:20." "Good grief, what time does school start?" Wyatt took to answering this one "It starts at 8 but it's a thirty-minute drive. Plus after seeing your school records maybe going to bed early would have helped you have fewer tardies." Charlie shoots her eyes over to her second-oldest brother. "That had nothing to do with me being late for your information. I didn't want to show up on time so I didn't." Followed by a smirk. The brothers started to realize this was going to be as simple as they thought. Their sister may be ten but she is already showing signs of the famous Kingsley stubbornness.
Colt knew he needed to move things along so he stated their last rule."Charlotte next week there are only two days of school then the rest of the week is fall break so we figured we would let you start the following Monday. You will be starting school at Monroe Academy where the twins go. In school as your last rule, you are required to keep all A's and B's, when you get home until your grades get better I want you to do your homework in the living room and I want to check your planner before you go to bed." They all waited for her to blow up again but that's not the reaction they got.