One of the women rises. She does not bother to cover herself. She steps out of the water. I see the drops fall from her skin as she makes her way to me. She is beautiful. Her skin that has been tamed by the sun and long midnight hair capture my attention as she advances.

She stops before me. I watch as she smiles down at me, but there is something in her gaze that tells me I should be wary. I know who this woman is. I know what situation the foolish King has thrown me in.

"They said you were coming," her eyes that match her hair inspect me. I take in her also, watching as she shifts her gaze to the male called Valerin. "Show her where she will be staying."

The male bows before her.

A flash of anger rushes through me. He bowed to the wrong one. He lowered his head to something that was mortal and weak.

No one is aware of my thoughts as she turns back to face me.

"I am Lelian. First wife to the Elephant King and mother of the crown prince..." she looks expectantly at me.

I feel my face morph into a smile. I picture my hand wrapping around her throat. I can taste the blood of her skin as I watch the water drop from it. Clear drops now, but maybe they would turn red later.

"I am the Goddess Mikabellum."

Amusement flashes across her eyes. She laughs openly at me, before turning back to say something else to Valerin. It's something in a foreign tongue. I do not understand the words, but the male before me nods and looks at me.

I follow him, letting my gaze linger on the other females. They are silent, their eyes holding a hostility that shimmers on the surface.

I turn my back to them and follow Valerin.

The King comes later that night. He stands in my doorway, watching me as I also take him in.

"Do you like your new room?" He steps inside, closing the door behind him.

"You brought me to live with your wives."

He takes a step closer. "Yes."

"Why?" I ask.

He stops in front of me. His hand reaches and slowly, he drags a single finger down my face. He bends, letting his knees fall to the floor. Now we are eye level. Now I am looking into the soul of the King.

"Because I want you," he whispers.

"You cannot have me," I tell him, moving so that I am leaning down, letting the robes I wear slide up my legs. His gaze flickers to the exposed skin. I continue to lower myself, letting my full body lay on the bed as I hold my head in my hands and look down.

"You became greedy after one taste of the divine."

He smiles at my words, "I think I want to be blessed again."

"Do you think you are the first male who has tried and failed to claim me?" I said.

"Did he?" The king asks, "Did the great leader claim you? Did he make you his?"

Silence echoes after his words. He moves closer, so that our lips are just a breath apart. "What did he do to you?" he wonders out loud. "How did he find something like you?"

"Maybe he did claim me," I think the thought out loud, watching as the King pulls back to see my face.

"Maybe he did...he came in the night. I still can hear the sound of hooves...the brightness of the fire. The screams..."

The King says nothing as I slowly crawl down. He leans back on his heels, watching as I bring my hands and place them on his knees. I look up at him. He is breathless.