Chapter 44: The One With The Big Reveal.

Start from the beginning

I guess the only way to get some information, is to wait for Areeb to wake up.

Shehzer's POV:

I'm so conflicted about the whole Areeb situation, that I feel like two different persons.

A part of me is unwilling to feel anything but pity, and sorrow for the life that Areeb wasted. The vitality, the gift that he was bestowed upon, he treated with cavalier recklessness. I'm sorry for the pain, and the trauma he has gone through, and the disabilities that await him in his future. His parents' attitude is yet another cause to pity him.

But then a second part of me hates Mina's involvement in his life. Irrational jealousy, and treacherous doubts have started to make routine appearances during our vigil outside his trauma room.

She doesn't love you as much as she loves him.

But she's marrying me.

Yeah, after he let go of her...she never came to you. You're the one doing the chasing. Pathetic man.

He hurt her. I will never do the same, and she knows it.

Big deal. She obviously forgave him. Look at the worry etched on her face!

That's because they grew up together.

Exactly! You will never have that depth of history with her. You'll always be the lovesick fool hanging around her, hoping for scraps of affection.

Screw you.

I glance towards Mina surreptitiously. She is speaking to Adiba in low tones. I see her rub her eyes tiredly, before heading over to the restroom. Adiba and Ali leave to catch some air in the hospital garden. It's nearly dawn, and they'll be back after offering Fajr prayers. I decide to find a praying room myself, but Mina's handbag is still lying beside me, and I can't leave it unattended. I can go after she returns.

I yawn a few times, as I blearily try counting the window panes in the waiting area. 25, 26, 27...

A steady ringing is emanating from Mina's bag. I ignore it, hoping it will shut up. If this is her parents, I have no wish to be the one explaining this particular turn of events. 28, 29, 30...

It just won't stop. Hmm...Maybe it's urgent. I crane my neck towards glass doors at the entrance, hoping to catch sight of Mina. Nothing.

I sigh as I tug open her leather tote. Her cell phone is glowing in the dark recesses, and I sigh with relief as I spot a Fajr Alarm icon blinking. While I am turning off the incessant ringing, I catch sight of something horribly familiar in her bag.

A single pearl threaded on a gold chain.

A vision of it lying against her pale neck, all those months ago, stuns me.

A toy Minnie Mouse figurine is lying next to a note that is signed by Areeb. I don't even bother to read anymore before I tug the bag shut, and throw it none too gently across the seat from me.

Why would she ever carry around his gifts; unless she still felt something for him? She barely had time to grab her keys before I came to pick her up; which means she usually carried this around with her.

Disappointment, hurt and rage are coursing through me like a river unleashed. 'Didn't I do everything right? Wasn't she happy with me? Will I never measure up to her first love?' I yank at my hair in frustration.

My Mom's words come crashing at me, "Can you possibly love someone who is hung up on another man?"

She had warned me about this; the possibility of our relationship being too premature for Mina's emotional health. I had blindly believed in my own ability to make her fall for me. Stupid arrogant idiot that I am.