Epilogue

A few days travel to the south of Underbridge, the lonely village of Lodun sat nestled in a shallow valley in the green plains of the heartland. It was a sleepy, quiet place that saw very little foot traffic. The only road in or out of the village was a narrow dirt path. A stream flowing towards the southern ocean trickled by the east side of the village, providing the village with fresh water.

Kela looked at it all from her place in the small garden she kept in the backyard of her home. She was a krauven, and an old woman by the standards of her people. She was seated in an old wooden chair, resting her legs and her arms between bouts of tending to her plants. The quiet sounds of the townsfolk going about their day were a pleasant white noise to her, accompanied only by the occasional twitter of summer birds in the distance, or the gentle whistling of the wind as it blew over the verdant green grass.

There was rarely a rush in this town. And even when there was, there was rarely any reason for her to contribute. At her age, few people asked anything of her. They knew she was getting old, and were kind enough to let her enjoy her sunset years in peace. Every so often someone would give her a wave as they passed, or call out a friendly greeting. She was always happy to offer them a response. Sometimes they would be someone she knew, and they would stop to chat for a few minutes before moving on.

Today, though, no such thing had occurred. Most people were busy with their work this time of the day, doubly so for this time of the year. Everyone was busy tending their fields, eager to ensure that they all grew enough food for the winter. Everyone was too busy to stop and chat with an old woman. Not that Kela minded. She enjoyed the silence. And the lack of distractions was more than welcome, as it let her keep an eye on the road.

She was expecting company today.

Said company seemed to be taking its sweet time turning up, sadly. And in those moments of quiet anticipation, Kela was afforded the opportunity to think. And think she did; Of her siblings down south in the jungles of her homeland, many of whom had probably died of old age by now. Of her charming mate, with whom she had brought her child into the world. Of how said mate was probably wandering some distant highroad in another land, taken wherever the Yearning willed. And she thought of her shining delight of a daughter, Tika.

Kela blinked, torn from her thoughts when, finally, finally she caught movement out of the corner of her eye. Her sight was not so good anymore, leaving the distant object rolling down the road to appear as a brown blur. The clopping of hooves on the dirt path was a tell-tale sign, however. She sat up, squinting at it. It rolled steadily closer, and she began to make out more details. It was a horse-drawn wagon. A dwarf was sat in the driver's seat, while two figures cuddled together in the back. The driver raised his hand in greeting.

"Kela!" Bradigen called out once he was in earshot, prompting the krauven to step eagerly out of her garden, her cheeks lifting into a wide smile.

"Bradigen! You're late!" she called out to him.

Bradigen shrugged. "I'm not that late," he replied with that trademark grin of his. He pulled softly on the reigns, bringing his horse to a halt, and the wagon with it. Kela stepped fully out onto the street. Her eyes drifted from Bradigen and to the two figures seated in the back. Her heart beat a little faster, swelling with delight as she recognized her daughter. Tika stood up and leaped eagerly over the rail of the wagon with no hesitation. The girl had grown a few more inches since Kela had last seen her.

Inwardly, Kela chastised herself, realizing it was no longer appropriate to call her daughter a 'girl.' She is a woman grown, now, she thought with pride.

The moment Tika's feet were on the ground, she was running for Kela. She knew what was coming, and held her arms out to accept the embrace. Cognizant of her mother's age, Tika slid to a stop right before she reached her, and gave her a gentle, loving embrace. "Mama!" She greeted, resting her chin on Kela's shoulder. "It's so good to see you! How have you been?"